Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows NTFS Permissions: Drill Down Propagation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m1ckrz

m1ckrz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

I am modifying some file permissions and was wondering if there is a way to give automatic read/write permissions to parent folders in a directory string. Example:

If I want to give modify rights to "H:\Root\Subfolder\Design", is there a way I can automatically set necessary permissions to the "H:\Root" and "H:\Root\Subfolder" directories?

Currently, I set specific folder permissions for each parent folder, which is fine. I just wanted to know if there was any convenient way of automating the process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Where is H: located?  Is it on a drive installed in the same computer, or is it a Network drive?

#3 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Network drive, single share with multiple department folders. There are a lot of specific folders that people need access to.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

If this is not in a AD (Active Directory) environment (ie Domain), just a group of workstations, you can still write a script to log into the network shares.  All units have to be running Windows 7 Pro.  It is easier to do in a Domain, and using a NAS for the folders, or using a Linux Samba server as your Network Shares server.

Really need more information on the network (how many workstations, domain environment or just a work group.  Where are the share folders coming from (each computer, or a dedicated server).  What type of router & switch are you using (manufacturer & model# of that equipment), how are you connecting the computers to the router & switch (wired or wireless), are you using any type of security software (ie McAfee Internet Security, or Norton), a Proxy.

Really need more info.  If you want a good site to go over Windows networking, go to http://www.ez.lan.net.  For writing a script to log into the shares, see the following on how to write logon scripts.  Was originally written for WindowsNT, but it gives you the general idea.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750843.aspx  Also see http://ptihosting.com/blog/it-blog/red-x-on-mapped-drive-in-windows-7-and-windows-vista-solved/

Edited by Greg62702, 06 February 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#5 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:26 AM

Its a star topology, single firewall at the gateway. All workstations connected through ProSafe managed switches. I'm actually in the process of mapping everything over to the domain now, so that should make things a little more manageable. Still, a script to log into the shares is not the focus. I'm trying to see if I want to grant modify rights to a folder, is there a means of automatically assigning read, write, traverse rights to parent folder tree?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users