Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very complicated multi booting/recovery situation.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Well, I want to multi boot MANY Linux and recovery distro's. But here's the situation, I am trying to use my slave drive (an old 20 GB Seagate) to multi boot on, and I want to have to select that drive from the Windows Vista Bootloader and then have it boot into GRUB and THEN have me choose my distro. But I don't want GRUB to even have a peek at my 586 GB Western Digital that I have Windows Vista on. I don't want to have to go into the BIOS boot menu and select the drive every time. If you have any questions about my situation I will further explain it. All help is appreciated!!!!

The reason I am doing this is just to have multiple recovery options in case something fails that is software related.  

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

the YaST project can edit the GRUB bootloader... I don't know how to make Windows bootloader see it though.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Have a read here: http://blog.famzah.net/2011/11/12/boot-linux-using-windows-7-boot-loader/

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yes you can load Grub using the Windows bootloader (there's even automated tools to do it like Easy BCD).  I'm not entirely sure how you can stop Grub from seeing your Windows disk though  - when it configures itself, it scans all attached drives for boot loaders... You can manually remove entries, but it's hassle for probably no real gain.

Personally I think for what you want you would be better off making a recovery USB stick.    The other advantage is that a USB stick is portable, you can lock it in a drawer when you don't need it, and it won't interfere with the ordinary operation of the computer.  Plus if someone else has a problem, you might be able to help them out :)  I put together one using YUMI which now has on it:

Various live versions of Linux Mint (x64 and 32bit)

Puppy Linux Slacko (Very lightweight distro)

Ultimate Boot CD (includes Parted Magic, which is a mini Linux distro in it's own right)

Windows 7 installation DVD

Kaspersky Offline AV Scanner (Linux based)

Probably other stuff I've forgotten.

Only downside is if your computer doesn't support booting from USB :(

Edited by jonuk76, 06 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

I can explain this a little better now that I have some feedback. I already have YUMI with like 20 Linux distros (might be overdoing it, but who cares?) but I want to have an option every time I boot to have these entries : (1) Windows Vista (2) Zorin OS 8 (3) Recovery Drive, on the Windows Bootloader entries. but when I use EasyBSD it always boots me up into Zorin (yes, I made sure it was the right drive, I even tried multiple things like SysLinux, GRUB (Legacy), GRUB 2, LILO even). I need to have the boot entry on the menu so I can just boot from it. Any ideas?   :idea:

EDIT: TsVK! I looked up YaST and didn't find anything, and congratz on getting into the malware fighting business. 

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 06 February 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

YaST project is enterprise also... sorry for the misdirection.

here's a fairly simple way I came across using GRUB, depending on your skill set you will either sail through this, or learn a lot doing it.

edit: thanks for the congrats, I'm pretty happy to be part of the trainees... :hug:

Edited by TsVk!, 06 February 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

So the computer is loading Grub at boot time?

If so it sounds like you need to re-install the Windows boot loader.  Can you boot into Windows now? You can do this through EasyBCD if you can start Windows.  It's in the BCD Deployment section and you choose "Install the Windows Vista/7 boot loader to the MBR".  Restart and you should have your Windows boot loader back.  If you can't boot into Windows then you can use the install DVD or a repair disk to fix the boot loader.  Instructions here.

BTW in order to work Easy BCD needs to be set to the right boot loader for your Linux entry, i.e. Grub, Grub2 or LILO.  Grub2 is probably most common now.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

So the computer is loading Grub at boot time?

No, GRUB is not loading at boot time (told you alls this was a complicated story). GRUB is no longer an issue because I have installed YUMI. I want to be able to boot to the YUMI drive with the Windows Vista bootloader.

EDIT: TsVK! I hope you help a lot of people someday.

EDIT EDIT: TsVK! the link you gave me is not working, been loading it for like 4 minutes now. Still at ZERO.

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 06 February 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I dunno mate, the link works fine for me...

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Multi_Distribution_Boot_Howto

#10 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Well, the link you gave me this time worked. Loaded in like 10 seconds. The other one still don't work, odd.

That helped a little. I got it working though! Took me all night of breaking Windows Vista's bootloader by editing it and manually adding the entry to the bootloader (I think I broke it like 30 times, really). But eventually I got it to work by putting the absolute path to the Master Boot Record of the multiboot drive. TsVk! THIS link also helped me a little. So now all I have to do is select it from the Vista bootmenu and then it launches me into the YUMI interface and then i can select my distro.

Thank you all!  :bananas:  I now have a happy banana!

#11 k0fee

k0fee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

i used to do a lot of multi-booting and had fun for a while, what you might want to consider is running virtualbox and setting things up through that, the advantage is if something goes wrong you got a snapshot, the other one is you can test any software and if not happy simply remove it

a nice distro to test is smooth-sec, set up an IDS/IPS and you can login to snorby through your windows box

either way, have fun

k0fee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users