Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV57h58u error code 0xc0000034

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

This laptop runs win7, after the logo screen I am getting the error code message so it won't boot to windows and pressing F8 to run a recovery is not working, I can go to the BIOS. I tried Knoppix and it loads fine but it won't let me reload the OS from a disc so I am guessing it's a hard drive issue? Is there anything I can try to access the HDD or to know 100% that it's a HDD issue before I should go buy another HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Try this:

1.Insert your Installation Disk

2.Go to repair Windows

3.Command Prompt

4.type in this:

"BootRec.exe /rebuildbcd" and press enter, then type in "BootRec.exe /fixmbr" and press enter, and finally type in "BootRec.exe /fixboot" and press enter. Now restart the PC and try it.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

when I insert the installation disk now and set the boot order to the cd-rom, all I am getting is to reinstall windows, how do I get repair option?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

1. Put the disc in your optical drive and restart to boot from the DVD.
  2. On the "Install Windows" screen, make the appropriate selections for language, time, and keyboard, and then click “Next”.
  3. On the next screen, click “Repair Your Computer”. Do not click "Install now"

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

That works but I am not getting directly to the CMD prompt, instead a "Systems recovery options' window appears with 2 options to either use recovery tools or restore from a system image created earlier so I choose the second option hoping to access the recovery files but no system image is showing on the screen, does this mean that either the recovery partition is not there or the recovery files are damaged?

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

looks like you are using a recovery disk, rather than a full install disk.

you can download an install ISO from here

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

no, I am using a retail full install disk

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I dunno mate... I've not heard of that.

Have you tried step by step like in this tutorial?

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, I tried that way. I am guessing this machine did not have a recovery partition and the owner did not know that.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

I still don't get it, the install disk should read off X:\. the cd windows directory, for this function. No recovery partition should be required.

maybe someone else who has come across this before can jump in now?

Edited by TsVk!, 06 February 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Well, this I am not understanding. If the unit did not come with a recovery partition and files, how would the original factory OS and settings be restored? I had thought what you were trying to get me to do was to use the retail disc the guy purchased only to get into the system to run the recovery since pressing F8 does not allow you to run the recovery?

Edited by mystic12, 06 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Well, this I am not understanding. If the unit did not come with a recovery partition and files, how would the original factory OS and settings be restored?

With the image disks that came with the machine, or were created by the user immediately after purchase.

I had thought what you were trying to get me to do was to use the retail disc the guy purchased only to get into the system to run the recovery since pressing F8 does not allow you to run the recovery?

That is exactly what I was explaining, we are in accord. Trying to use an original install disk as a repair disk.... I just don't get why it's not working. I've done it many times.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

In your post #5 you had two options. What do you get when you choose the Recovery Tools Option?

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

I think there may be something we are not on the same page with here? The disk I am using is not the original disk which came with the laptop, the owner says there's a recovery partition on the laptop but when pressing f8 to access the recovery nothing happens so I am thinking he's making a mistake, that there is not a recovery partition on the hdd, either that or the HDD or the recovery partition files are damaged?  At any rate, the disk I am using is a retial win7 disk he purchased online to try to reload the OS.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

In your post #5 you had two options. What do you get when you choose the Recovery Tools Option?

The next screen is scanning for system image backup but it's not finding any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users