Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan running non stop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 123oliver

123oliver

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hello

We have a Dell studio 1700 laptop and for the last few days the fan has been running pretty much non-stop.

I seem to remember this happening about 5 years back but can't remember what I had to do to sort it!

Can anyone help at all?

Thank you

Oliver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I recommend getting some canned air and blowing through the intake and exhaust (through the plastic). If dust gets built up, the fan will run but will move little or no air and this causes heat build up. Try this first and let us know if it still runs non stop.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 123oliver

123oliver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hello

I gave the laptop a good clean about 3 weeks ago and this started last week but guessing I may have caused it as a few blasts of air and we are back to normal.  I will remember that for the future - Keep it simple!

Thanks for your help.

Oliver.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Be careful blasting any fan, when they are spun up by canned air they produce electricity and can damage your board.  It is important to insert a plastic stir stick or similar to hold the blades from spinning. 

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, as oldphill said, motors turn into generators when actionated by an external force!

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

I never recommend over speeding fans by the use of high psi air compressors, I have seen a few shatter or break. I have never seen damage done from static by dusting out a computer as of yet and I have dusted well over 1000 computers, laptops, desktops etc. I guess it is something to keep in mind as a possible cause of failure. I did once see damage after someone used a vaccum and physically knocked of main board components, they must have been rough with it.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users