Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down right after starting..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midwestgirl

midwestgirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Computer boots up fine. But before we can do anything it just shuts off completely.  No error message nothing.  Tried booting in safe mode and it does the same thing maybe takes a few minutes longer but not much.  We have taken the cover off and cleaned everything out...tried changing the power cord ...changed monitors...we did get time to do a system restore nothing...Now we can't get it to stay up for more than 10 to 15 minutes  at a time. does anyone have any other suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Double check that your cpu cooler is making good contact with your CPU, I highly suspect a heat related issue. You can check your cpu temperature in bios and see if it goes above 55C and how quickly it does so. It is also possible it is power related but first check your temps.

To get to the bios after powering on start tapping one of these keys: F1, F2, Esc, Delete.

EDIT: One way to tell whether your cpu cooler is making contact or not is by physically touching it to see if it is warm or hot. It should be warm when the computer is running. If it is always cool to the touch it is likely not making contact with the cpu correctly. Also if your cpu fan speeds up or gets loud while the cooler stays cool this could indicate it is not touching the cpu.

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 04:17 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

After the CPU, I would suspect the PSU, then the RAM. Beyond that it could be software/virus. You might try keeping the Task Manager open to see if any system files are being halted, leading to a shutdown, such as a svchost.exe .

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

If you can give us a make and model for the computer that would help greatly as well.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 midwestgirl

midwestgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Double check that your cpu cooler is making good contact with your CPU, I highly suspect a heat related issue. You can check your cpu temperature in bios and see if it goes above 55C and how quickly it does so. It is also possible it is power related but first check your temps.

To get to the bios after powering on start tapping one of these keys: F1, F2, Esc, Delete.

EDIT: One way to tell whether your cpu cooler is making contact or not is by physically touching it to see if it is warm or hot. It should be warm when the computer is running. If it is always cool to the touch it is likely not making contact with the cpu correctly. Also if your cpu fan speeds up or gets loud while the cooler stays cool this could indicate it is not touching the cpu.

We really cleaned the fans up again and it seemed to be working then this morning it is doing it all over again.  The fan seems to be running ok.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

If you can go into bios as stated above and report the temperatures this would help us determine if it is a problem with temperature. It is also possible it is power supply related. If you can boot into windows, maybe try safe mode (after powering on the computer tap F8 until you get to the boot options menu, use your arrow keys to select "safe mode with networking" Try to run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users