Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 8- Allow Remote Connection ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dleblanc1957

dleblanc1957

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Just bought HP Pavilion laptop that came with Windows 8 so that I can work from home desktop and vice versa. In going through all steps trying to connect the two noticed there is only a "Allow remote access" when I right click on computer then click on remote settings. There should be tab that reads "Allow Remote Access" under the "Allow remote assistance" tab which then allows you to click on "select users" and proceed from their. I went to Geek Squad at Best Buy and they told me they don't know what problem is and that their expertise is not in networking more so in personal computers. At least they gave me this website and I am praying that you can help. Sole purpose of spending $580.00 bucks is so that I can work at another location on laptop but be able to access my bosses home/office desktop as he is the one who needs my assistasnce while I am at shop on laptop. I already transferred files and such between the two but need remote access.I have spend 2 days researching this to no avail. just seeing people talk about same problem but no solution. Please.....help....Donna

Edit: Merged two separate topics for the sake of continuity.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dleblanc1957

dleblanc1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Sorry, in my previous post in second line I meant to say there is only an "allow remote assistance" tab but there is no " Allow remote access". Guess I need to preview my post in the future..Sorry

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Depends on what version of Windows 8 you have.  If you do not have Windows 8.x Pro, you will not see that tab.  Really the best way to do remote management, is to use Teamviewer, not RDP invites.

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Depends on what version of Windows 8 you have.  If you do not have Windows 8.x Pro, you will not see that tab.  Really the best way to do remote management, is to use Teamviewer, not RDP invites.

I use Teamviewer at work/home on my Parents computer. It just simply works and works well!

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

#5 dleblanc1957

dleblanc1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thank you so much at least after spending so much time on trying I now know I am not crazy! I want to choke the guy at Best Buy who sold laptop to me. I specifically told him I needed a laptop with remote access capability so that I could help my boss on his home computer while I was at another location minding the shop. The guy at store said "oh this comes with Windows 8 so you will be able to remote connect anywhere". I will download teamviewer and try that because after boss shelled out over $500 bucks on laptop I sure hate to go tell I need $200 more to purchase Windows 8 pro, that would surely solve all my problems cause he would probably fire me LOL, won't need to remote connect then huh! LOL.. Thanks again for even taking the time to reply!

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi

You need to install the Remote Desktop app from the app store.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/remote-desktop/051f560e-5e9b-4dad-8b2e-fa5e0b05a480

Otherwise use Teamviewer or Ammy Admin .

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thank you so much at least after spending so much time on trying I now know I am not crazy! I want to choke the guy at Best Buy who sold laptop to me. I specifically told him I needed a laptop with remote access capability so that I could help my boss on his home computer while I was at another location minding the shop. The guy at store said "oh this comes with Windows 8 so you will be able to remote connect anywhere". I will download teamviewer and try that because after boss shelled out over $500 bucks on laptop I sure hate to go tell I need $200 more to purchase Windows 8 pro, that would surely solve all my problems cause he would probably fire me LOL, won't need to remote connect then huh! LOL.. Thanks again for even taking the time to reply!

You need to contact BB HQ and ask for a refund of your money,or contact your credit card company, and put in a request to have them refund the money back to your card, that was charged to BB.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

As for this being a business use, you will need to pay for Teamviewer.  Now of course if it is just the one machine, it is free for use in this situation, and is a great program.  Especially for remote meetings that need "Whiteboard", etc..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users