Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Internet acess firewall software for W7?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Wasn't sure how to properly label the title for what I'm looking for or if this is the right section for what I want.

What I'm looking for is something that I can run that will disable all network trafic for my conection except for specific programs- but only when I launch those programs. The rest of the time when I'm not using them I want everything else to be turned on as normal automatically. I want to be able to point at a program and say "when that's running, everything else needs to be halted while it's doing its thing".

I know I could go into windows fire wall and add in abunch of suff to try to limit network flow, but I realistically don't know all the crap that runs in the backround that usses my connection. I add and uninstall stuff all the time to so it would be a pain to edit my firewalls constantly to fit the ever changing specific parmiters that they require.

(unessasary text to read)

Reason for this is that some of my programs require really good ping and a stable connection IE- I.M's, video chat, games, compnay network specific programs (the proper term slips my mind at the moment). Alot of the are very picky about my connection and if they drop below a set ping or bandwith requiment for one second the servers will disconnect me (very unprofessional on my end). I can restart them and I'll be good for a couple hours most times, but if I drop below it even once... frustration. For that reason I have 2 seprate connections- a 12mbps satalite connection (exede) for downloading and a 3G connection (AT&T towers) for the Ping/Stability (get 95 ping on average) I need for those things (no better connections available). However the 3G connection get's dialed back sometimes or I have I slow connection that day (wether and all). Everything still runs fine indivisually (still have 95 ping and is still stable) under these circumstances, but if anything else pulls at my bandwith during that time it drops me. Sometimes during normal use I get dropped cause of backround use to.

So I need somthing to disable all the unessasary internet for smoother runnings while using certin programs. Thoughts?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

Your ping times are not due to your computer or stuff running on it.  High ping times between your router and the destination, can be caused by bad or overloaded routers, switches, connections through those devices, the server that you are trying to connect to can also have issues on either it or the network that it is connected to.

The best thing is to run a few trace routes to find out if it is a issue with your ISP, or a hop between your ISP and the destination.  Then send that information to a tech with your ISP, so they can work with you and the party that is showing the problems.  It is also good to check on your ISP forum, or either their own hosted forum, or maybe over at dslreports.com, if they have a forum over there, to see if others are having the same issue.

It does help to know how you are connecting to your router, the manufacturer & model of your router & modem, and also post three trace routes to the following sites:  yahoo.com, google.com, bleepingcomputer.com, dslreports.com, and then your local university or college in your town, and the local school district.  Using all of the information from the trace routes, you can compare the hops to see if the problem is at the same hop, or a different hop.

There are only so many paths that the Internet runs across the country.  When you look at the pattern, it looks like a Spoke & Hub pattern, such as how our airport infrastructure is set up here in North America.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

How old is your cabling from the outside, I had poor ping and TV issues, my ISP installed new cabling from the box outside to my router it was like magic.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

How old is your cabling from the outside, I had poor ping and TV issues, my ISP installed new cabling from the box outside to my router it was like magic.

Phil

I'm connecting through my phones internet for the stuff I need good ping for. I'm using a 4 inch shielded cable through a USB 2.0 full speed port (the cable is in 100% working condition), it's also connected directly to the board to cut out any further interference. So I don't see how cable applies here.

As for the satellite I only use to download, it has one of the thickest highest quality cables I've seen, and is also less then 10 feet long from modem to dish for the least interference. I emphasize that I don't use it for either low ping or high stability requirements because satellite internet is the exact opposite of both. It has a ping of over 700 on average and a stability/speed test graph line that looks about as straight as a someone trying to draw a line while having a seizure.

My programs only seem to disconnect me when another program also is accessing the internet. The connection isn't lost but the extra load drains enough of the bandwidth to crash what I'm doing. So I need something that will act as a temporary firewall for all the stuff that's not important while I'm running those programs.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

If you are using Satellite for Broadband, you will always see high ping times.  As for disabling the firewall or Statefull Packet Inspection (SPI), on some of the gateways for Satellite, you are unable to disable.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

If you are using Satellite for Broadband, you will always see high ping times.  As for disabling the firewall or Statefull Packet Inspection (SPI), on some of the gateways for Satellite, you are unable to disable.

I said I was using 3G, not satellite for it. I hate it when people just skim or partially read posts and then post useless info just to get their post count up >.>

I know what I'm looking for exists. Steam has a version of it specifically for games that you can check under the settings for the game you want it applied to. The difference in stability is huge once this is applied and I'm looking for one that I can use for anything. As that option seems to be picky about what it works with whenever I try to launch non-steam things through steam to enable it.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Regardless if it is 3G or Satellite, you will always see high ping times with those services.  There is nothing you can do to improve your times when not using wired Internet services.

#8 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Regardless if it is 3G or Satellite, you will always see high ping times with those services.  There is nothing you can do to improve your times when not using wired Internet services.

If you read the posts I said bandwidth was the problem, not ping. The 3G connection holds it's ping somewhere between 50  and 150 ping (the tower is barely used by anyone so that probably helps cause apparently where you are the ping sucks for 3G). That's not the problem, the problem is that other stuff is sucking down my bandwidth enough to make my software drop communication because it thinks the connection is to slow (cause of those other background programs).  When I enable Steams ability to block all the extra non essential connections, whatever I'm running works fine. I.E try to do multiplayer without it and I get dropped within a few minutes for lack of bandwidth, with it however I can play for hours and never run into any issues.

Like I said thoe, outside of Steam games the feature is picky as to what it likes to work with- so I can't just run everything through steam. I need a dedicated firewall or program of some kind that can manage this.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

I read the posts.  Again, regardless if it is Bandwidth, ping times, etc. 3G, Wimax, Satellite are bad ways to connect to the Internet.  They will always have high ping times, and are very restrictive on the bandwidth allowed to users.  Your problem is not with the Steam/Valve software.  Your problem is the type of Internet connection you are using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users