Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Win logo key

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hello all,

I have been assigned to create a kiosk in W8.1 ent 64 bit for my MS Configuring W8 class. I have the the kiosk created and locked to the specified user account, locked out removable media and hot keys. The only thing i believe is in my way from making it secure is the being able to tap the Windows Key 5 times to be kicked out to the log on screen.

I have tried this reg tweak, but it did not work,

I know as long as there is a secure PSWD on the Admin account there is not much to worry about. 

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Nightspear

Edited by Nightspear, 06 February 2014 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Just use a keyboard without that key on it.  Try this Microsoft Fix-it, which disables http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9738719  There are also these types of keyboards, that are made specifically for Kiosks.  http://www.sunsoninput.com/pid10363615/kiosk+metal+keyboard.htm  Another one.  You may not like the price though $355 for it.  No Function keys, no window key, vandal proof with Trackball.  http://www.amazon.com/Kiosk-Systems-Inc-Tamperproof-Keyboard/dp/B00CF5WGZ0/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1391716751&sr=1-9&keywords=kiosk+keyboard

Edited by Greg62702, 06 February 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#3 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Greg,

Thank you for your speedy response. I will try the MS Fix first thing in the morning and let you know how it works. The keyboards you suggested are great and greatly appreciated. However, this is a class project and only hypothetical. 

Thanks again,

Nightspear

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

But it is always good to have the information at hand, so that for future reference, you are already one step ahead.  Always forsee the future, even though it is a project.

#5 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:16 AM

You have a point. Thanks again Greg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users