Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building HitManPro Bootable CD on a 64 bit,,, Run on a 32 Bit????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gtpvette

gtpvette

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Quick question. My XP system has a ranson virus. I wanted to try a HitManPro bootable CD to scan it. I created one on my wifes 64 bit machine,, but it's having issues reading the Boot records on my XP machine.

Will a bootable CD of HitmanPro built from the 64 bit version run on a 32 bit machine???

Thanks!

Fred

Edited by gtpvette, 06 February 2014 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,569 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

This is a quote one of the developers of HitmanPro.Kickstart

The Kickstart flash drive always contains both the 32bit and 64bit versions of HitmanPro. During the boot process it is determined what type of WIndows is on the (infected) machine, and the proper version of HitmanPro is selected. This way, you can use the same Kickstart flash drive on different versions (32 / 64 bit / XP / Vista / Win7) of Windows.

So during creation of the flash drive it is not important to know what version of Windows is on the infected machine you are about to use the flash drive for.

Hitmanpro on USB FLash drive help? - Post #7 by Edwin Engels

....you can use HitmanPro.Kickstart with a machine that cannot boot from a USB flash drive. For that you need to create a CD with the 'Sidekick' image, see http://www.surfright.nl/en/kickstart for the download and instruction manual. After you have created the CD/DVD, you can boot from that. However, you still need the Kickstart USB flash drive (which must be inserted into the infected machine), because the HitmanPro software can only be started from a flash drive by the Kickstart bootloader.

Summarizing: you boot from the CD/DVD, but the HitmanPro software will be started from the flash drive

Edwin Engels, HitmanPro SurfRight, Post #15
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 gtpvette

gtpvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks,,, not exactly what I wanted to hear thouugh. HitManPro is saying my disk in encrypted. Not sure if the virus did that or not,,, maybe. Not sure if it's the whole disk either. I'd like to try to look at a few files and see if that's really the case.  Need to see if I can back off a few files and take a look from another machine.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,569 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

You can also try: SurfRight HitmanPro Support - (Contact: support@hitmanpro.com)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users