Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer illiterate

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 oxojohn

oxojohn

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:11 AM

I  have obviously upset the setting on my computer somehow, because now when I log on, I always get this window "below" I then have to click F1 before every start.

Is there an easy solution that would write my wrongdoing.

Thank you.

203e.jpg.html

Problemloggingon_zps20ed203e.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

Your memory modules are not paired correctly or it's mixed improper. You generally want to have the same types of ram in a pair and put them in the colored memory slots. If you was messing with the bios settings and not messing with hardware, then you have messed with the timings or ganged/unganged them. If you're not sure what you changed you can also try to go back and use a saved config or reset to factory defaults.

Edited by technonymous, 06 February 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Have you added RAM recently?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi  Arachibutyrophobia,  many thanks for replying, spot on! I have just added 4 gb of Ram, because the computer only had 3 installed, and Photoshop used to freeze up, so someone on a photography forum recommend installing more RAM. So I took the bull by the horns and gave it a go  after reading how to install it..

Oops.... Have I messed up.?

#5 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Your memory modules are not paired correctly or it's mixed improper. You generally want to have the same types of ram in a pair and put them in the colored memory slots. If you was messing with the bios settings and not messing with hardware, then you have messed with the timings or ganged/unganged them. If you're not sure what you changed you can also try to go back and use a saved config or reset to factory defaults.

You have now lost me technonymous, What I did was to download a small program that said it would  check what kind of Ram was installed and work out the correct Ram to purchase, which I did,

Many thanks for your reply.

Edited by oxojohn, 06 February 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

You have messed up, but only slightly !

In general, RAM likes to operate in matched sets, and ideally from the same manufacturer. You say you had 3Gb RAM in the computer and you added another 4Gb - if I understand you correctly. This would give you a total of 7Gb, which is an unusual number in itself.

What was your original installation - 1 x 3Gb or 2 x 1.5Gb or 3 x 1Gb, and what is the additional RAM - 1 x 4Gb or 2 x 2Gb ?

If you added a 1 X 4Gb stick, then your simplest ( if slightly expensive ) solution would be to buy a second 1 x 4Gb and use the two of them together to give you a total of 8Gb.

However, if your system is seeing and using the 7Gb you have installed at the moment, then you could ignore this suggestion at the price of hitting F1 every time you boot. The make and model of your motherboard would be useful for offering more guidance.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

I doubt you have upset any settings on your computer; you have DIMM Organization Mismatch (128-bit) issue

--- You could also examine each set of chips to see if there is an empty space in the center of the chip vs. the other set not having and empty space in the center of the chip

--- It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this but maybe one set is non-ECC and the other set is ECC

--- As Chris brought up, I’d like to know whether or not the system recognizes all 7GB installed?

--- And you could compare the exact specs of one of the original chips vs. the new chips by reading the labels

On one occasion, one of my friends had received a set of new chips that were the correct chips for his computer that didn’t well at all on his computer (no it wasn’t the same problem you see)

--- Anyway when I got to check the chips I noticed the labeled specs were ok but there was one number that was different

--- I called the number and was told that was the lot number (easy enough)

--- So I told the person I was talking to we are going to return the chips and want replacements from a different lot number

--- Problem fixed in that case

Comments about how they could be mismatched are important

You mention you had 3GB RAM installed

--- Is it possible you actually had 4GB RAM but only 3GB was available?

--- I don’t like to assume, but I imagine there are 2 chips?

--- If you really had 4GB installed RAM, it could have been on only 1 chip

On the new 4GB RAM, is that one 1 chip or 2 chips?

That information will be helpful on determining matched setups

I’ve seen it happen (even though it was only a couple of times) that a company did send a wrong set of chips

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Go to Crucial.com and use their site to tell you what RAM your motherboard is compatible with, if you cannot pull the info up on the manufacturer website.  It helps to know what motherboard this is, if this was a custom built computer, or recently replaced motherboard on a OEM machine (ie Dell, HP/Compaq, Sony, etc.).  Try this Pen Drive Linux Memtest, to see if you can get it to boot and report the RAM info.  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/tag/memtest/

#9 oxojohn

oxojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thank you Chris Greg and Cmptrgy for giving your time to help me.

Firstly, the computer recognises the new Ram that I installed.(details on a file I posted below )

When I came to install them there were 4 Ram slots, one had a 1GB installed and the other had a 2GB installed, leaving 2 slots empty, I then installed 2x2GB RAM in the remaining 2 slots.

I believe that the maximum RAM the computer will take is 8RAM.

If I remember right, it may have worked OK for a couple of days after I had installed the RAM, one other thing that I did just after installing the new RAM, was to empty a table top hard drive, so as to make a new backup of my computer, because I had some new Wildlife photo's that were not on the other hard drive.

One strange thing that happened was. It did not recognise the spare hard drive at first, but the next day I noticed it was now showing.

…....................................................................................................................................

(Quote) by Greg

Try this Pen Drive Linux Memtest, to see if you can get it to boot and report the RAM info. 

Sorry Greg, I tried to sort that one out, but I got completely lost, thank you.

UPDATE.     Since posting this I have noticed that on one of the files I have downloaded, it says.....Disk partition ©              55 GB Free 283 GB Total

I have not noticed that before ?

IMFO_zps7a73f0bf.png

INFO2_zpsaa467fd9.png

INFO3_zps869f78be.png

Edited by oxojohn, 07 February 2014 - 03:09 PM.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

So, you have 3 x 2Gb sticks and 1 x 1Gb of two different ages and possibly makes - that is where your mismatch is coming from. This is  not critical, but does explain why your system is pausing at start-up and you are having to hit F1 to finish booting.

If you really want to solve this problem and stop having to hit F1, you are going to have to take your supplier's advice and buy another 4 Gb ( 2 x 2Gb ) sticks as suggested in the quotation you posted. The downside is that this is going to set you back another 66 quid !

I am open to correction here, but I don't think that this somewhat unusual set-up is going to do your computer any harm if you continue running it like this, but you may get memory problems in the future. As I said in  my earlier post, RAM really does work best when it is all the same type and make.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'd like to note my observations:

--- As you noted the company you ordered from went by the installed memory type of DDR 

--- This doesn't explain the DIMM Organization Mismatch (128-bit) issue but something just isn't matching up

--- Chris' comments of you having sticks of different ages and possibly makes made me think

------ Your original 2GB sticks even if it has the same specs as the 1GB stick might be different makes

------ And now you have 2 new sticks: same specs and make as each other but different than the 2 prior sticks

--- If you can post the manufacturer and p/n's of the original 2GB stick and also the original 1GB stick and for the 2 new sticks, maybe one of us can compare their specs

Have you tried to run the computer with only the 2 new sticks in? 

--- I believe the computer will run fine, but I think it would be a good idea to see whether or not there is any message that shows up

--- If you get some kind of message, well you might have to consider returning those 2 sticks but this is only a subjective comment right now

Consider trying to find out which stick(s) cause the mismatch message

--- Add the original 2 GB stick for a total of 6GB and see if the mismatch message shows up

------ If it doesn't add the original 1GB stick in; I would imagine the mismatch should show up in this case

------ If the mismatch message does show up with only the original 2 GB stick added in, remove it

------ Then Install the 1GB stick and see what happens

Now you will know when the mismatch message shows up on which one of the original sticks

Moving on the Crucial DDR3 recommendations they seem to be referring to the system specs and the request to know the motherboard fits into that concept

--- I suspect the DDR3's are more appropriate for your motherboard but if you are going to consider using them but leave 2 of your DDR2's in at the same time, the combination of that setup will be limited to the DDR2's performance

Edited by cmptrgy, 07 February 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

By buying the 2G and putting it in dual channel with the 1g you get mismatch and they are different timings, size ect. So now to fix it you must buy a kit of 2x2G. As general rule of thumb you want to pair the modules in sequence as they was built from factory.

Or.......You can pull the 1g out and toss it and do with 6G. Choice is yours.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

I agree with technonymous very nice easy explanation

--- I sure got carried away with my explanation above especially since I mixed up DDR types

I found this that indicates the Packard Bell iMedia A3317 UK is designed with DDR2's in this computer

http://computer-specifications.com/specifications/packardbell-imediaa3317ukdesktop-specs.html#

oxojohn you are working with DDR's

So as technonymous and others have also recommended, properly matched sets are the solution

--- Unless the motherboard in your computer is designed differently it appears to me you should be working with DDR2's

On that program came up with matching the RAM to what was installed vs. what the motherboard calls for sounds odd to me but the decision that needs to be made is (as already alluded to) what does your motherboard actually support

--- I suspect Crucials DDR2's is correct

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

The following is what Crucial suggests for the Pakard Bell iMdia A3317 UK.

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB 
Slots: 4

This has probably already been covered, if this is the case I'm reiterating the information.  In order to run RAM ind dual channel the modules must have the same specification, this is why RAM manufacturers offer matched pairs for dual channel.  If the modules are no exactly the same but close they may still run in dual channel but will perform poorly.  Another consideration for those who mix module speeds, the faster module will only run as fast as the slowest module.

If you want to see exactly what you have installed you can use CPU-Z.  When you open CPU-Z click on the SPD tab to see the specifications of each module installed.  In the upper left of the window you will see Memory Slot Selection, this is where you pick the different slots to view the module's specifications.

CPUD1.jpg

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

I didn't know that DDR's would run on a motherboard that's designed for DDR2's but that does seem to be the case

--- That said I suspect the Photoshop issue was related more so to poorer performance vs not enough memory and as Photoshop was being used better performance and resources were needed

--- Anyway I believe all of your memory needs to be updated to DDR2's including matched pairs as mentioned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users