Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excess internet data usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bytefright

bytefright

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

I'm not sure where to post this but I have a problem with my monthly internet data usage and I wonder whether I've been hacked in some way. I use a wireless modem device (4G Sierra) with a monthly allowance of 8Gg which just disappears, fast, for no apparent reason. I've used the internet for years and have an idea of what burns up usage but the last few months there has been no explanation for how fast it has been disappearing. Last month I was away on holidays, didn't access the internet for a couple of weeks, when I came back on line it was to find that I had an excess data usage warning and most of my allowance was used. My ISP (Telstra Business) assured me that no one could access a wireless modem except from the computer it was plugged into. Doesn't explain what's happening here - no teenagers downloading games etc and two users very aware of the problem. Any ideas?

My setup: Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1; CPU:  AMD Athlon II X4 600e, Propus 45nm Technology; RAM  4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz;   Motherboard PEGATRON CORPORATION JESSE ( CPU 1); Graphics:  HP TouchSmart (1600x900@60Hz)     512MB NVIDIA GeForce G210; Hard Drives
 932GB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 SATA Disk Device (SATA);  Optical Drive hp DVDWBD TS-TB23L SATA CdRom Device; Audio SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

I should have said earlier that I have a current Norton Internet package installed - firewall etc - , use Firefox (extensions disabled, no addons), recently installed MyTurboPC, deweeded with SuperAntiSypware etc, ran RogueKiller, Norton Root Kit and, while my computer is running faster, I'm no closer to finding out what's going on when I connect to the Internet. I pull the modem out of the computer as soon as I'm finished, I even took it away with me last month, but my usage keeps disappearing. Last month I had to top up my 8 gig to 11 gig to avoid massive fees and I'm so angry because until last year I got by fine with just 1 gig and my browsing habits havn't changed so WHAT HAS??  At wit's ends, someone please suggest something, thanks.

Edited by bytefright, 06 February 2014 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bytefright

bytefright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Haven't heard anything but I have found help, indirectly. After some digging came across this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523463/unauthorised-broadband-usage-every-5mins/page-2#entry3283440;

and this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/521772/internet-usage-is-too-high-viruses/

and I have followed through with most of the suggestions (except Combofix as per advice not to use unless under supervision). Got rid of hundreds of tracking cookies, found some nasties with Roguekiller and registry problems with MyTurbopc,which made me wonder why the hell I'm paying top dollar for Norton protection. I now have a quicker, cleaner computer but it remains to be seen whether I've found what was chewing up my usage. Last step was to download wireshark but that was too tech for me, have no idea what I'm looking at or looking for. So I've done what I can and any other advice will be much appreciated, cheers, Margaret

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hello, I suggest you repost these 2 posts (as one) with a DDS log from this Guide. There will be other tools to be run. Please follow this Preparation Guide, do steps 6,7 and 8 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users