Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hostile17

hostile17

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

My parents were having a sudden display problem on their PC.  It was freezing out of nowhere and upon reboot the screen kept flickering on and off every few seconds.  Moving the mouse pointer was also next to impossible.  It then started an endless loop of rebooting.  I disabled automatic reboot, and ended up getting the 'blue screen of death'. According to the BSOD, the problem was nv4_disp.dll, which I googled (on my laptop) and learned pointed to a nvidia display driver.  

In a bit of a panic, I hard restarted into safe mode and uninstalled nvidia GeForce 280.26 driver and then restarted the computer.  The blue screen issue was completely resolved, but I soon noticed that using some programs, browsers, and videos caused a marked choppiness while scrolling.  

I created a system restore point.

Thinking it might have just been a 'corrupted' driver, I went ahead and downloaded/reinstalled the 280.26 and restarted, only to receive the BSOD yet again.

I then had to hard restart again into safe mode, and then went back to my restore point, undoing the reinstall .

I then went into Device Manager and under "Display adapters" located and uninstalled nvidia proper and then restarted.

Upon restart, the "new hardware" bubble opened and I was able to put in the latest driver, which is nvidia GeForce 7300 GS version 6.14.13.0790.

I then rebooted again, and found myself dealing with the same nearly-unresponsive desktop that plagued me at the start.  So I had to hard restart yet again into safe mode and then ran a system restore back to the restore point again, which is where I am at now.

It is not a critical issue, but I would like to try to smooth out the scrolling on this PC.  Thanks.

The PC is an older Compaq Presario SR 1717CL running Windows XP 32-bit.

EDIT:  If necessary, I can restore the computer back to just before I uninstalled the 280.26 driver the first time, and we can start from scratch.  Thanks again.

Edited by hostile17, 05 February 2014 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hostile17

hostile17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

When shutting down, the 'Stand By' option is also permanently grayed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users