Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp-slow To No Log On Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dean_099

Dean_099

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

A few weeks ago, I had issues regarding trojans in my pc. One of your
moderators, Cretemonster, helped me to rid my pc of all the malware
problems with having me do several online scans that eventually
totally cleaned out all the garbage on my computer.

Since the malware issues were completed, I am having one problem
regarding logging on, that being , 8 out of 10 times I try to log on to a
site, like my yahoo mail, I get cant find server messages.

Once I hit the go button or refresh, it usually allows the site to appear, but
a few days ago, I was downloading ad-aware updates and, during that
time, I could not log on anywhere until the update was complete.

I'm running dell winxp (a 2 month old pc) and both Avast and Zone Alarm
run security while online. I'm also on dialup, but was not having this problem
before the trojans hit. Many times it seems, by watching the Z/A icon, that
Z/A "stalls", kind of like it's holding log completion and the connection
icon shows no transferring of signal.

Would you have any suiggestions, with my having to get rid of security, that I
might check to fix this problem? Many thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

First, Dell has a very "funny" way of supplying you with CD's, so proceed with caution. Recently I had a friend try and run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW on her Dell Media Center Edition PC (also brand new).

SFC.EXE gave an error that it needed the XPPro CD (Media Center is based on XPHome). So, I found a fix to edit some .inf files to fix it - still no joy! Then, she spent a long time on the phone with Dell support - and finally a supervisor said that he'd send her a copy of the XPPro CD. So now we're waiting for the CD to see if it'll work for her.

That being said:

I would suggest running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. It may ask for your installation CD. If it does, be sure to visit Windows Update immediately afterwards.

If this doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest a repair install of Windows. This will leave all of your programs and data on your disk. Here's the link that I recommend for it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dean_099

Dean_099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:36 PM

Ok, did the scan. Yes, it asked for the cd that I dont have, so
I just cancelled each request for it and completed the scan
without it. I've also disabled avast to see if that might make
a difference, now running only Z/Alarm online.

That where I stand right now. Havent noticed any
major difference yet.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hi, The SFC scan you just did with out the cd is not to good. The process needs the install cd for Windows to work properly. The question i have is do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so you need a Windows XP disk with Service Pack2 slipstreamed into it. The regular one with out it will not work either, because Service Pack 2 actually makes up a new operating system and it is newer that the old one therefore the old disk will not work properly or at all.

Go to this link here at BC and this should help you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:17 AM

Each time that the SFC.EXE program asks for the CD, it's found a file that needs replacing. So, however many times that you cancelled is the number of files that need replacing.

Without a CD there isn't much that can be done (since the files that it want's to replace are protected Windows operating system files).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Dean_099

Dean_099
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Oh, well it asked for the cd 4 or 5 times. Guess i'm more than surprised that a one month old pc needs
something fixed. I'm past the warranty also, so...i'll check that forum link you provided and go from there.
Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users