Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 5 can't access Internet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 archp2008

archp2008

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

I just installed Windows 98 (2nd edition) in a Virtual Machine using VMware workstation 10 inside Windows 8.  The email works (loads my mail) after putting in the server info, etc., so I assume the network access must be working, but it tries to open/save a file from msdn instead of opening the site.  It says that it cannot access sites at this time. In the past this usually happened when I hadn't installed the NIC driver but if my email is working doesn't that mean the NIC is installed?  Is there a simple way to get Internet Explorer working?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Got this working with updater. Now is there some kind of driver out there that may work with my ATI-4670 video card. The best I can get now is 16 colors at 640 x 480!

#3 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

You may as well go ahead and install IE6 SP1:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

Its good ya got it working buddy!!

#5 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, that autoupdater really did a lot all unattended too.  The only problem is that I am using an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4670 PCI-e graphics card for my Samsung 2370 HD lcd monitor.  I have an idea that this card may have been manufactured after Windows 98 so there may be no driver available.  It was only an experiment with VMWare to see if it worked.  I'm stuck with 640 by 400 and only 16 colors.  One would think there would be something generic available to at least get full color and 1024 by 768.  I would probably have better luck with the integrated graphics card and a vga to DVI adapter.  My Intel P5B-VM was built before Win98 so it should be easy to find the driver for that.  I question if it's worth the bother taking out the card though since it would impact all the other dozen or so OS's that I have on the machine..

#6 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I question if it's worth the bother taking out the card though since it would impact all the other dozen or so OS's that I have on the machine..

Nice ;)  That must be a massive multi-boot menu...lol

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#7 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

It's working out nicely the past couple of months.  I enjoy the variety of stuff to work on. Only problem is that my largest hard drive is failing (bad sectors).  Sometimes the POST process gets delayed a couple of minutes between detecting the drives and reporting the SMART status.  I expect one day it will refuse to complete the POST altogether.  I'm guessing that's related to the bad disk but it could be the controller or motherboard. I have all the backed up for when the inevitable happens.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:40 AM

In VMWare you just need to install VMware Tools/Guest Additions which includes a compatible SVGA driver. You don't install drivers for your actual hardware in the guest OS. For sound you may need to download a Sound blaster PCI 128 driver for it to work.

Edited by jonuk76, 14 February 2014 - 02:45 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

It may be possible one of the auto driver loaders mentioned in these posts would find the video driver, just a shot!

Phil

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523550/driver-update-program/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522438/automatic-file-downloader-updater/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Just had a look and the display drivers on my Win 98 VM are listed as "VMware SVGA II" and it supports 32 bit true colour.  This is just the driver supplied in VMWare Guest Additions, which also adds functionality like drag and drop between the VM and your actual desktop.  The network driver is a generic AMD PCNET Ethernet driver (was detected by PnP during installation, I didn't need to do anything for this to work).  Again this is emulated by the virtual machine, you don't need to install drivers for your actual network card.  As for the sound driver, I needed to download and install a Soundblaster PCI driver (SBPCI_WebDrvsV5_12_01.exe) and the MIDI sample file (eapci8m.ecw) from Creative as detailed here.

Screenshot showing my Win 98 device manager is here - adMgIZJ.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies.  I just solved the video resolution problem with VMware tools.  Now have 1920x1080x32.  Will try the IE6 update now.

#12 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

I have sound and full-screen video working now. Opera seems to be the best browser.  I have been trying all day to make my usb flash memory sticks to work but no success.  Can someone give me an idea of how I might enable my virtual Win98SE to see usb thumb drives.

Edited by archp2008, 22 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

If you find out let me know :thumbsup:   I've been unable to get USB Flash Drives working on Windows 98SE on a physical machine I put together the other day.  I downloaded drivers from here but attempting to use them gets a blue screen/hard reset every time :(  But it blue screens and crashes for the fun of it in Win 98.  Windows XP is rock solid on the same machine however...

Edited by jonuk76, 24 February 2014 - 05:26 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

You can try this site for generic USB drivers for Win98SE.

-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#15 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the link. I think I tried this one before. I installed it again but still not seeing any new drive letters. I wonder how do you enable the floppy disk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users