Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with maintaining an internet connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrMajeika

MrMajeika

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have always had problems connecting to the interntet on my laptop. The router is downstairs and when i use my laptop upstairs i have problems connecting to the internet when i first switch on. i have to put it in a certain spot in my room and sometimes lift it up off the surface a bit. We have just been sent a new router and now is seems worse than before, it doesn't always connect at all, I have to take it closer to the router, and then when it does connect it sometimes goes off. Anything i can do to improve the connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

What is the make and model of the routers? I assume that the ISP is who sent you the new router. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Router with Wireless downstairs, computer upstairs, you will either need to get some Range extenders for Wireless, that plug into the electrical outlet, so that you do not have to run Cat-5e or Cat-6 ethernet wiring.  Or use an Access Point upstairs if you can pull Ethernet wiring.

#4 MrMajeika

MrMajeika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

What is the make and model of the routers? I assume that the ISP is who sent you the new router. 

the router is a Huawei HG533. It was sent by the ISP

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

My experience is that ISP wireless equipment sucks for signals. Mine is fine within 10 feet outside of that it drops off sharply. The best way to deal with this is get something else to generate a wireless signal that is much stronger. I do this with an old router and new software(aka firmware) on it. It connects wireless with my ISP router and is just a bridged repeater. But I am the "computer" guy in my family so I get old equipment given to me before it gets tossed so unless you have an old router sitting around, not the old one from your ISP, you will have to buy a bridged repeater. 

I am not endorsing this product in particular

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

My experience is that ISP wireless equipment sucks for signals. Mine is fine within 10 feet outside of that it drops off sharply. The best way to deal with this is get something else to generate a wireless signal that is much stronger. I do this with an old router and new software(aka firmware) on it. It connects wireless with my ISP router and is just a bridged repeater. But I am the "computer" guy in my family so I get old equipment given to me before it gets tossed so unless you have an old router sitting around, not the old one from your ISP, you will have to buy a bridged repeater. 

I am not endorsing this product in particular

Not all ISP provided equipment sucks for wifi.  The 2-Wire 3800hgv-b Gateway that ATT uses for U-Verse, will put out a signal, that you can see up to 150' outside of homes.  Wireless-b & g will go farther then Wireless-N.  But the problem is that if you have a lot of congestion, or multiple A/P's on the same channel as you have your A/P, you are going to have issues.

The problem is that the OP is a Virgin Media subscriber.  This makes the second one having issues with Virgin supplied equipment.  Since this equipment is for FTTC, there is not much they can do, but add another A/P as I stated before, to increase their coverage.  See the following for the review on the OP equipment.  http://www.theproductsite.com/blog/talktalk-huawei-hg533-router-review/

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:09 AM

I didn't say all of it sucks, I said in my experience it does and I have AT&T Uverse and the 2-Wire 3801HGV and I am telling you it's signal sucks. I didn't setup my bridge repeater because I wanted to add more wireless signals, I did it so I could stay on wifi when I went to my kitchen or to the hallway outside of the room it sits in.

And setting up an Access Point is one of a few things they could do but not the only thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users