Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would XP mode be safe if?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mameigwess

Mameigwess

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Because I want to still be able to go on the internet with my desktop it looks like I'm going to install Windows 7 Pro over XP.  I'm wondering if it would be safe to use XP Mode if I don't use XP Mode to go on the internet?

Mameigwess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hello :)

Please read here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

That will help you understand what xp mode is. Most software works fine in windows 7 that used to work in xp. Windows 7 is similar enough to xp that you shouldn't have much of a learning curve when you first start using windows 7. Honestly windows xp mode isn't necessary. 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

I'm more worried about my hardware such as my wired printer.  Upgrade Advisor says it doesn't have "compatibility information about this device".  I've heard that a lot of times Windows 7 doesn't have the proper drivers for older equipment.   I assume they would work in XP Mode.

Mameigwess

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

What printer do you have? I might be able to find you the drivers for windows 7. :) I do not think they would work in this way (using xp mode).

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Actually a printer will work in XP mode. Some hardware will work in XP mode but not in compatibility mode. I got a goofy wifi printer that has a windows 7 logo on it saying it works with Win7, but it doesn't the software to it is bugged beyond belief and there is no way to align the heads properly. It was a Lexmark printer. I went rounds with them and proving to them that their software was bugged even the latest greatest release was still bugged. It was easier to just shoo me away, end the life of the machine, kill the support and ignore everyone. That's Lexmark for ya. The printer works beautifully like it should in XP mode or shared from an actual XP machine to the Win 7. Crazy. So that goes to show you that just because there is a logo or seal of pass approval doesn't mean it works lol. They throw stuff out the door so fast they haven't got a clue what they are doing half the time.

Edited by technonymous, 06 February 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#6 Mameigwess

Mameigwess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

What printer do you have? I might be able to find you the drivers for windows 7. :) I do not think they would work in this way (using xp mode).

I have a HP 952C printer.  I also have other hardware, such as an Epson 4180 scanner, that the Advisor said the same thing about or said nothing at all.

Back to my original post.  If I'm in XP and I don't open a browser but the computer is still "hooked up" to my internet provider, am I safe?

Mameigwess

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

No because the Internet is not the only method by which malware is placed on a system...it's just the most prolific and easiest method.

http://www.combofix.org/how-malware-attacks-and-spreads-in-your-computer.php

Note:  File-sharing still takes place on a person-to-person basis...it's not just accomplished via the Internet.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users