Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with replacing optical drive on laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hi folks,  my optical drive model # ( Tsst corp CDDVDW)  or simply a (TS-U633A),   I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff has completely died and my question is how do I know if a replacement model will work in my Asus u56e laptop.

I see a lot of similar looking drives online but I am very confused if I need one with the exact same specs like 5400 rpm model and not a 7200 rpm model  etc..

What are the most important things I need to know about a replacement

Thank you  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

IMO you will need the exact replacement.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

You should be able to use most any internal slim DVD/CD drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thanks,  i still need to keep the specs the same like if i had a 5400 rpm drive that's what i need to replace it with right?   My main confusion is with the name brands ,  i'm not sure what make my drive is but i see lots of replacement drives by Sony, Toshiba etc.. can i replace it with a different manufacturer?

Thank you 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

They are for the most part interchangeable, the manufacturer doesn't matter, and the speed doesn't matter.  The slower you burn a disc the better.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

The reason for getting the specific one for your model is the door configuration, there are rounded flat slightly wider or narrower etc.  You may be able to swap the plastic parts but IMO why bother, you can find new on Many retailers sites.

Phil

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Most DVD players/burners have removable bezels.  Some DVD drives don't even come with a bezel, they assume you are going to use the one which came with the computer.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Most DVD players/burners have removable bezels.  Some DVD drives don't even come with a bezel, they assume you are going to use the one which came with the computer.

Agreed.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users