Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing Boxes/Pixels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pickity_witch

pickity_witch

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

I hope I'm posting in the right place.

PC specs:
Windows 7 home primium

Intel Core i7

4G RAM

GeForce 650 ti Boost graphics card

I dont remember my exact motherboard model I know it's a Gigabyte (if that even helps at all).

Here is my issue:
Issue_zps79173ec4.png

This only happens when playing games, and obviously in the Nvidia preview. Those little "boxes"/pixels flash around.
Oddly enough the lower I set my graphics settings the worse it gets, yet no matter how high I turn up the settings they don't go away.

My grapics card, HDMI cable and TV are only 1 month old.
My graphics driver is up to date.
Heating is NOT an issue.
I do not overclock.
I have updated windows.

At this point I am at a loss of what else to do. I know my RAM, processor and motherboard are a bit older (maybe 4-5years old) but I didn't have this issue until 3 days ago. This issue does not occure when watching videos (youtube, netflix or otherwise). It only seems to occure with games. I tried to look into updating DirectX but according to the Microsoft website DirectX gets updated with windows. I made sure to look at my update list (both important and unimportant files) to see if there was an update for DirectX and there was not.

So, is it time for new RAM or something??

Any help is appreciated!!

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2014 - 09:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

I think the graphics card might be bad, had a friend that got a brand new $2000 graphics card just to have it crap out on him in a week.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

Well that really looks like an issue with your graphics card, have you tried switching your video card, or using your onboard one to see if the problem persists?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

If you know what the wattage of your power supply is please let us know.

Looks to me like a vram (video ram on the video card) problem...  We can start with a few tests. Have you tried the card in a different PCI-e slot? This would be my first step. Also when you installed the nvidia driver did you do the "clean install" option? If that option is available with the newest driver release, reinstall using "clean install"

If you can create a bootable version of linux something like linux mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php, then run some graphics intensive tests this will help rule out a software issue in windows.

This video stress test has a version for linux: http://www.geeks3d.com/20131028/gputest-0-6-0-opengl-benchmark-for-windows-mac-os-x-and-linux-downloads/#download

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 09:15 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

It would help to know the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Does it do it hooked to a regular monitor?  Rule out it is not on the other end!

Edited by OldPhil, 06 February 2014 - 11:14 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users