Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover Old Win7 product key

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dantranchina

dantranchina

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

I had to do a rebuild on a laptop that had windows 7 installed when it was purchased. I forgot to get the key off the OS before I formatted and installed a new copy of 7. There is no Microsoft product key sticker on the machine. How do I get back the original key that was installed on this machine?

Thanks,

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Check under the battery for the sticker with the key.  HP, in their infinite wisdom, started placing it there a couple years ago.  Other than that I don't have a good suggestion for recovering a key from a drive that has been reformatted.

#3 modzilla90

modzilla90

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Can you point me in the direction of legally finding a way to get a key for an Asus i purchased in 2009 that was reformatted?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

If there is no sticker on the machine you're going to be out of luck.  Even if you had gotten the key that was used you wouldn't have been able to activate it.  The best you could probably do is to contact Asus and try and get a set of recovery disks.

#5 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Hello ! I recommend Belarc Advisior! It is legal to find your window keys. There are other freeware proframs if you want to google"How to frind my Windows keys" It is not illegal to use these programs. It may be still in the Bios even though you replaced the HD. Worth a try. It's a gtood software to have any way.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Edited by donetao, 06 May 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Belarc won't reveal a Windows key that is not reflected in system data currently on the system.  It will only reveal the current key or lack thereof.

Louis

#7 donetao

donetao

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Belarc won't reveal a Windows key that is not reflected in system data currently on the system.  It will only reveal the current key or lack thereof.

Louis

Ok Thanks for information Louis. Always learning new things. Still good software to have. :clapping:

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

Very long shot but you could have a look at these.

http://superuser.com/questions/313210/recover-windows-7-license-key-from-formatted-drive

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/ht/windows-7-key.htm

#9 modzilla90

modzilla90

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm new to this site but I think I identified the problem. I do need to reinstall windows but not 7. My Asus uses vista. I found that out by calling their support line.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Belarc also fails to get a valid Windows key on a manufactured system as the key used is a generic key for the manufacturer.  It will allow you to install Windows, but it will not activate.  The only way that it does work is with the recovery process for the machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users