Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 careycat

careycat

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Yesterday my computer wouldn't start correctly, just hung with a cursor on a black screen. I restarted in safe mode and did a full power cycle, it worked fine and returned to normal.Then the screen turned blue with stripes (not BSOD), so I restarted and nothing appeared on screen. Fan turned on, etc (laptop by the away), nothing fired out to an external monitor either.

I popped the drive out, ran an MBR repair and scandisk on an identical OS, popped it in and nothing. I popped the drive into a very similiar computer (non OEM Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) and it worked fine for a day, then I fired it up and it did the same thing on that second machine.

Did my drive infect the BIOS or disable the startup drive path? I have to go home and put the orignal drive back in the second machine but my guess is it won't detect it.

This is my $500 512gb SSD so I'm really concerned that any machine I put it in will cause it not to start. I am away from home but plan to do another MBR repair and try again.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue: "Then the screen turned blue with stripes (not BSOD)", most new laptops share the ram with both the cpu and video chip, it could be a stick of ram causing this problem. Or it could be the motherboard/video chip. In reality it could be any piece of hardware causing a no post situation.

Things you can try: remove the battery and the power adapter, remove both sticks of ram, put 1 stick back into 1 slot, try to power on. If it does not work, move the stick of ram to the other slot. If it still does not work, remove that stick and put your 2nd stick (if you have another one) into 1 of the slots, try to power on, if no power still, move this stick to the next slot.

You should be able to access ram from the bottom of the computer under a plastic cover which may require removing a few screws. It would be good to know the model and make of the computer...

Edited by zingo156, 05 February 2014 - 03:30 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

I tried that without results, the thing that disturbs me is it happened in 2 computers - the only commonality is the hard drive. I was thinking of ripping one apart again, unplugging the cmos battery, but wasn't sure that would do much good either...I was also considering running a slew of MBR repair programs. The only other thought I have is to FDisk the drive....and start again, but not sure that'll help either...Is it possible for the virus to tell the bios not to find the hard drive and stop POST on two machines? Starting w/o the HD didn't make a difference either. No screen, no nothing. I expecting something like HDD-0 not found....

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

I have only seen 1 (probable but not confirmed) bios virus in my days, flashing the bios fixed the problem. That was on a computer that had a bios that was specifically upgradable from windows with the upgrade software installed and no security password for the bios. FDisk, repartitioning, reloading will get rid of a virus on the drive...

I do not believe it is the hard drive causing the machines to fail but it may be possible. If there is some kind of short in the drive it could physically damage the main board if the drive is getting power from the main board (because it is a laptop I assume it is).

No virus should cause the computer to fail to post. No post situations are usually hardware related. It could be any piece of hardware causing the problem, from wireless cards, ram, hard drives, etc.

If you have the experience to tear the computer apart you can try disconnecting everything except power, cpu/ cpu/gpu cooler, ram and the monitor. Also what is the model and make of these laptops that have failed.

I can tell you from experience the most common failing laptops that I saw over the years (video chipset) was the dreaded HP DV series laptops most had amd chipsets but some were intel. They failed so frequently we had at least 3 a week and it became known as DV syndrome.

Also Dell has the n5030 and 5010's that fail all the time as well, same thing failing video chips...

Edited by zingo156, 05 February 2014 - 04:01 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue: "Then the screen turned blue with stripes (not BSOD)", most new laptops share the ram with both the cpu and video chip, it could be a stick of ram causing this problem. Or it could be the motherboard/video chip. In reality it could be any piece of hardware causing a no post situation.

Things you can try: remove the battery and the power adapter, remove both sticks of ram, put 1 stick back into 1 slot, try to power on. If it does not work, move the stick of ram to the other slot. If it still does not work, remove that stick and put your 2nd stick (if you have another one) into 1 of the slots, try to power on, if no power still, move this stick to the next slot.

You should be able to access ram from the bottom of the computer under a plastic cover which may require removing a few screws. It would be good to know the model and make of the computer...

It's a Toshiba T115D-s1125 sorry I totally missed that. The second computer is a Toshiba L505D-GS6000 - both now same symptoms .

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

you probably need a firmware update for the SSD, there have been some major developments in the last 6 months.

check your manufacturers website

#7 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

I have only seen 1 (probable but not confirmed) bios virus in my days, flashing the bios fixed the problem. That was on a computer that had a bios that was specifically upgradable from windows with the upgrade software installed and no security password for the bios. FDisk, repartitioning, reloading will get rid of a virus on the drive...

I do not believe it is the hard drive causing the machines to fail but it may be possible. If there is some kind of short in the drive it could physically damage the main board if the drive is getting power from the main board (because it is a laptop I assume it is).

No virus should cause the computer to fail to post. No post situations are usually hardware related. It could be any piece of hardware causing the problem, from wireless cards, ram, hard drives, etc.

If you have the experience to tear the computer apart you can try disconnecting everything except power, cpu/ cpu/gpu cooler, ram and the monitor. Also what is the model and make of these laptops that have failed.

I can tell you from experience the most common failing laptops that I saw over the years (video chipset) was the dreaded HP DV series laptops most had amd chipsets but some were intel. They failed so frequently we had at least 3 a week and it became known as DV syndrome.

Also Dell has the n5030 and 5010's that fail all the time as well, same thing failing video chips...

Drive also works fine in a USB enclosure. I am a technician at a shop but boy this is throwing me for a loop and a half...I can fix anything except my own computer and my daughters, those two always give me headaches!

you probably need a firmware update for the SSD, there have been some major developments in the last 6 months.

check your manufacturers website

I'll check OCZ, that's a good idea.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I would recommend trying to reset the cmos first...

If the drive works ok in a usb enclosure, I do not believe that is causing the problems. Those older toshiba's were fairly tough, My folks had one that eventually failed due to overheating... It was never dusted out and the fan was not moving any air. I was able to re-flow the video chip and it still works to this day.

If you did not dust out the machines in their lifetime I might suspect a heat related failure, the amd video chipset in one is the likely cause especially since you mentioned it booted and the screen displayed blue stripes, I usually attribute video defects to ram or the video chip... Though it still could be other hardware. Take them apart and perform the old trusted bench test, unplug everything including the wireless card, webcam, keyboard and touch pad etc. Then power on with only needed hardware.

Edited by zingo156, 05 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#9 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I appreciate everyone's insight...

#10 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm going to try most of this tonight. You are all so helpful and any additional insights are also welcome

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

By the way, I believe with toshiba you can reset cmos without pulling a battery follow these instructions:http://findpassword.net/reset-toshiba-satellite-bios-password/

I know that is for removing a password but that has worked for me in the past.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

all the solutions you are suggesting zingo are for 1 faulty machine, not 2 displaying the same issue... the common denominator is the SSD, which is where the fault likely lies, or subject to associated firmware or drivers.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Very true, I can not say for certain about the other failed computer, it was not mentioned exactly how it failed or what exactly happened. It was mentioned it has no video or similar no post as the one listed. The one that displayed blue lines seems to be hardware related. Because of this: Starting w/o the HD didn't make a difference either. No screen, no nothing and the fact that the ssd works fine in a usb enclosure tells me it likely is not the drive causing the problem. If the drive was doing damage to the main board to cause a no post situation it would likely damage the external enclosures sata controller circuit as well. It is possible that a simple bios reset may fix the problem on both Toshiba's which is why I would try that first.

#14 careycat

careycat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thanks...gonna try repairing the MBR and BIOS simulataneously, then move on to some other suggestions here. Yeah, basically how it happened was the blue striped screen appeared spontaneously, then the computer failed to restart. I did the MBR repair and it didn't work in the orignal host Toshiba, but I plugged it into another host Toshiba and it worked for a few hours, then failed to restart correctly. When I get home I'll pop the original drive into the second host computer and see if it starts...that'll also eliminate some possibilities.

I have to say all of you have been more helpful than any other forum I've tried in a decade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users