Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Stock Dell XPS 700

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

My uncle is a major techie guy, I'm starting to get into that field of mechanics, and I'm trying to upgrade what I have. The specs are everything is stock, so it's google-able. What I want to do is upgrade the motherboard because it doesn't support Windows 7 for driver capabilities, I had to run it in compatibility mode just to get the needed drivers. I don't want that issue though. I'd love to buy the "best" motherboard out there but I don't know if it would physically fit. IT is a HUGE case and it's a project. I just don't want to "over-upgrade" if you know what I mean. I tried Google and everything. Starting from scratch, I guess the first question I would like to know, in order:

1: What's the best motherboard I can buy that would fit this case?

2: What's the best video card I can buy for the new motherboard if it's not the best?

3: I understand I might need to buy a new power supply and everything, and I'm okay with that, so where's the best place to buy the poducts? I have heard of NEWegg, Amazon, Ebay. Opinions appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

ESSENTIALS!!! I want to build a gaming computer that will run Windows 7, and I can install all the drivers without hassle. If possible.

P.S. Also, I am prepared in case I cannot do any of these. I have seen some posts on Google that advises to just start from scratch with a new case. Let me know if this is true please. I've only invested a little bit in the system itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi, upon doing a bit of research, it seems your case supports BTX which is dead form factor standard for motherboards and the only way to reuse the case is by converting it to ATX, through modding it. Your best bet is to go for a new case and maybe reuse certain parts like the hard drive etc.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users