Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro 17 won't install osx

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 backtopc39

backtopc39

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

i decided i'd revitalize my MBP since i'll be traveling weekly again and wanted to use it over my pc laptop...
I had cleaned it prior to putting it up b/c i was going to sell it but never did. used it for about an hour and went to the store to buy a larger, faster harddrive.

I put the drive in, tossed my lion usb boot in and started the mbp. selected the usb so i could do a fresh install and it starts to spin... then nothing, it freezes after spinning 10-11 times...
WTH?
i put the drive in an external usb case, same thing.. made sure no drive was connected.. same thing.. what can i do about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

OSX can only be installed in an HFS+ file system and to be able to boot up on Intel Macs, hard drives must also be partitioned in the GUID Partition Table.

http://help.bombich.com/kb/overview/preparing-your-backup-disk-for-a-backup-of-mac-os-x

#3 backtopc39

backtopc39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

i know, i formatted the drive already in my macpro machine.
i put the osx lion usb stick in, load the macbook up. it shows, i click on it, it starts loading spindle spins 10-11 times then freezes 

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Try using Internet Recovery to install Lion. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Try using Internet Recovery to install Lion.

Depending on the model (aka year) of the 17 MBP of the original user, it may not be able to use Internet recovery. Only 2011 and 2010 17 MBPs can/could be updated using a EFI firmware update to enable Internet recovery.

And even if it is a 2010 or 2011 17 MBP, the original poster may not have ran the EFI update before "putting it up".

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

i decided i'd revitalize my MBP since i'll be traveling weekly again and wanted to use it over my pc laptop...
I had cleaned it prior to putting it up b/c i was going to sell it but never did. used it for about an hour and went to the store to buy a larger, faster harddrive.

I put the drive in, tossed my lion usb boot in and started the mbp. selected the usb so i could do a fresh install and it starts to spin... then nothing, it freezes after spinning 10-11 times...
WTH?
i put the drive in an external usb case, same thing.. made sure no drive was connected.. same thing.. what can i do about this?

What do you mean by "spinning 10-11 times"?

What model is the MBP (i.e. what year model was it)?

Does the current internal drive have the Mac OS install on it? You mentioned using it for about an hour, which implies that it does. If so, which OS version does it have on it? Does it still boot using that old drive?

If it still does boot to the old drive, then you could clone from that drive to the new drive. And then, potentially update to a never OS version from there.

#7 backtopc39

backtopc39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

its a 2010 mbp 17, it doesnt have internet recovery. i think it came with a 10.6.8 on it and i happen to have a 10.7 usb that came with my sisters imac so i grabbed it to install osx but it wont install 
the current internal drive is brand new.. nothing on at all. i used for an hour with the stock drive that has since been formatted to additional storage in a usb case.

when i say spinning.. i put the lion usb in and click on it to install and a spinning wheel starts to spin as if its loading.. it goes around 10-11 times and freezes.. never moves from that spot. it can stay on for an hour.. nothing happens... 
I might be forced to just pick up a new retina 15 but im so use to having a 17inch laptop...

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

If the Lion USB drive is a recovery drive that came with the iMac, then it likely will not work for your MBP. Recovery USB drives or recovery optical discs that have come with Macs until recently are model specific…i.e. they will only work with the model Mac that they shipped with.

If that is the case, then you will need another way to install the Mac OS since you seemed to have erased the old internal drive. Do you still have the recovery disc that came with the 17 MBP? If not, you will need to contact Apple to see if you get a new recovery disc option from them or order a "retail" Lion USB install drive.

#9 backtopc39

backtopc39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

i think it is a retail lion usb.. how can i tell?
it says on the back:
Os X Lion 
Mac Os x V10.7

Model A1384
607-9072

2011 aple inc

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

i think it is a retail lion usb.. how can i tell?
it says on the back:
Os X Lion 
Mac Os x V10.7

Model A1384
607-9072
2011 aple inc

To be honest, I don't know how to tell with a USB drive. With a recovery optical disc, if the disc has a greyish label rather then some colorful print label, then it is a "factory" recovery disc that is device specific.

From doing a little Googling, you may have a "retail" Lion USB drive. In addition, I don't recall if Apple actually supplied any recovery USB drives with Lion on it since it was around the time of Lion that they started having new Macs come with Internet recovery included. For example, my newer 2012 MBA did not come with any USB or optical recovery drive/disc and instead relied on the recovery partition and Internet recovery, while my older 2010 MBA did come with a USB recovery drive (with Snow Leopard on it…aka 10.6.x).

You may have to call Apple to ask them if it is a retail USB drive or a "factory" recovery USB drive that is machine specific.

Do you have another Mac? If so, then you could put the new drive in an external enclosure, hook it up to that other Mac as an external drive, and then boot from the USB Lion drive to install Lion to the external drive. Then you pull the drive out of the enclosure and put it in the MBP. This assume that it is a retail Lion USB drive and you cannot get it to work with your MBP for some reason.

#11 backtopc39

backtopc39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

yea i have a 12core macpro that has mavericks on it

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

yea i have a 12core macpro that has mavericks on it

Then if it is a Lion retail USB install drive, you should be able to use the Mac Pro to install Lion on the new drive as an external drive and then install it in the MBP. Heck, if you really wanted, you could install Mavericks on the drive for the MBP (you may need to re-download it from App Store as installing Mavericks will delete the installer unless you copied it to a backup drive).

Edit:

I should also note that if you purchased Lion or Mountain Lion through the App Store, you can still download either again and install either on the drive for the MBP as well. Any App purchased through the App Store including new versions of the Mac OS can be installed on any Mac associated with your App Store Apple ID.

Edited by smax013, 12 February 2014 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users