Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering files without admin.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jebug

Jebug

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:20 AM

To cut a long story short,I deleted a file and then emptied the recycle bin rather than recovering it.

I have been trying to recover it using a variety of file recovery programs, but they all seem to require admin, which I do not have.

I not familiar with the command line interface, so will need detailed instructions on any techniques using this.

Help would be much appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

You need to specify where you deleted it from - local HDD or server volume on a network - if local 'c: drive' then you will need a recovery program as the file would be been removed from the file allocation table (the fist couple letters of the original file name are truncated) however is restorable via commercial software such as Recuva - try searching for it on the web. It is import that you do not write any further info to the drive you have already deleted the file from, until you restore it.

If deleted on a server volume then you will need to contact the IT network department to provide a shadow copy/tape/cloud restore of the original file.

#3 Jebug

Jebug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

from c drive.

Recuva requires admin to work properly, so that's a no-go.

#4 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:29 AM

Most external programs will require 'admin' rights to install - you can click the setup.exe or install.exe and 'run as' local computername\administrator (if the service is running) but I don't see a way of recovering data deleted from the recycle bin, without installing something to recover the file as has now been partially truncated.

#5 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

Try the 'portable' version of Recuva - download from the web to a memory stick and this should work.

#6 Jebug

Jebug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've tried that already. The program itself. and all of the other ones I've tried, require admin rights to run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users