Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible video driver problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redchris

redchris

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

Hi all,

I built my HTPC over 12 months ago and it has been working perfectly since 2 days ago.  Now, when I boot the machine the windows animation appears and the pc seems to go through its start up process fine until the point where I expect to see the desktop.  At this point, the screen goes black and a message on the TV appears stating that no video output can be detected. On several prior occasions I have seen BSOD's.  The event which seemed to coincide with this problem was the installation of a new Samsung TV.  

I did some googling and it seemed that many people suffering with similar problems were able to solve them by deleting and reinstalling the graphics driver, so this is what I did first.  I tried both the driver that was supplied with the motherboard (an Asus P8H67-M PRO) and the latest driver from the Asus site.  The pc is stable with new driver in safe mode only - it will not work in normal mode.  If I uninstall the graphics driver completely the machine is stable in normal mode, so it does appear to be a graphics driver issue.  I am running with an i3 processor and onboard graphics only.  I am not that computer savvy and am at a loss as to where to go from here. I would really appreciate some help.  

Thank you in advance, Chris.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

May think about rolling the system back to an earlier date, if you back up recent files.  If that does not fix it use the repair function on your win install disk, that will preserve your files.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 redchris

redchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hi Phil,  Thanks for your reply.  I did try restoring from the last restore point but it made no difference.  i will try the repair function and see if that helps.  Otherwise, I'm beginning to think it's a complete Windows re-install.

Is there any way that switching to a new TV monitor could cause an issue with a graphics driver?  

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

Really I can not comment on that, have not run into issues on this end.  Hang for a little while there are some sharper folks up here.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 redchris

redchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Looking on Intel forums this appears to be a known issue. The strange thing is this PC has worked perfectly with my old TV also connected via HDMI for 2 years.

Not sure where to go next. If it is a known issue with the Intel driver and my monitor in combination it doesn't sound like a reinstall of windows will help. Do I need to fit a video card I wonder. I didn't want to add a video card as the PC is only used as an htpc and I want a low power silent machine. Infuriating

#6 redchris

redchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

The problem has - for now at least - be resolved.  I took 2 measures without checking them individually, so I'm not certain which was responsible but I firstly connected the TV by vga cable.  I then updated the BIOS to the latest revision - it hadn't been done for 2 years.

I then rebooted and on the vga channel the PC immediately recognised the tv as a Samsung, rather than a generic monitor and I was able to access the Intel control panel.  I then plugged in the HDMI cable and it also recognised the tv correctly which it hadn't done before.  I disconnected the vga, switched to hdmi channel and all was well.  I did a couple of system reboots and so far so good.

I have been considering a discrete graphics card for a while now. I occasionally see some minor stutter during playback.  Would a discrete card improve this or will it offer no real advantage for video playback vs the onboard graphics?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Would a discrete card improve this or will it offer no real advantage for video playback vs the onboard graphics?

The onboard shares the system memory while a dedicated video card would free up the resources allocated bandwith. While there are low-end PCIe graphics card that are inferior on some newer onboard graphics, consider buying a card that would suit something a notch higher on system requirements of your usual programs being used since it's already an upgrade to avoid throttling and or bottlenecks when running native, high resolution formats and games. Check the PSU requirements and if possible a video card that doesn't need to replace your current power supply is ideal. Glad to hear you were able to resolve HDMI playback by using the BIOS updated version. :)

Tekken

#8 bleebingjunior

bleebingjunior

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

this is what worked for me device management >monitors adapters > remove every driver in here than download your video driver from your manufacture's website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users