Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer lags and stalls when opening programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Okay, so I was on my computer like it was any other day. I played a computer game from steam. I noticed my computer disconnecting me from the game several times. After completing the game, my computer lagged so much that using it was virtually impossible. So, I attempted to restart it. Unfortunately, it did not make it past the shut down screen. So, I had to hold down the power button to turn it off. Since then, I have tried starting it in normal mode to see if it will work normally again. Unfortunately, it stalls when I try using any major program. The only way it won't stall is when it is in safe mode. I tried using MBAM, Super antispyware, aswMBR, ccleaner, and TFC while in safe mode in hopes of cleaning the system. It still resulted in very limited functionality at this point in normal mode. I can't even open a Web browser without it lagging incredibly.

I have no idea what is causing the problem, but this has happened before. It resolved itself by luck. But I need help figuring out this problem so that it can be resolved once and for all.

Operating system: windows 7 home premium
Computer: Hp pavilion dv7 4087cldv7 4087cl

Mod edit,moved from Am I infected to WIN7 ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 06 February 2014 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

First of all, would you be kind enough to give us a speccy snapshot?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xhPCMeaxNdqwbJG8UiocvOi

As a note, the posting of the specs proved to be laborious. My computer moved as slow as molasses. It at least opened the web browser and took me to this site. My computer did open speccy with a lesser problem than I thought. I already had speccy on my computer, so I didn't go on and download it again, if that was okay. Outside of the specs link, I had to type this note via an outside source of my computer because it would lag by typing a letter. It was hard, but I got it posted.

Ps. Before your response, I ran eset scanner in safe mode to see if it would make my computer a little less laggy. A little bit it did.

Edited by Miroku16, 07 February 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

FWIW:

Disk Letter:C:  File System: NTFS     Size: 573GB     Used Space: 540GB (95%)     Free Space: 33.6GB (5%)

You have a single hard drive with a rather large C: partition (IMO).  Although the free space in said partition would normally be considered sufficient to meed Win 7 free space requirements by me...the percentage of free space doesn't equate to the standard 10-15% I have seen suggested for installs of Win 7.

That's where I would look first, by moving/removing some of the files on C:...or really shrinking the C: partition down and creating a data storage partition for whatever is on your current C: that does not need to be there.  Aside from Windows and programs (which can be installed on other programs), my opinion is that C: should be small enough to facilitate backups and chkdsk/defrag operations, yet large enough to contain Windows, programs, and a few miscellaneous files.

Estimates of how large C: should be vary by person.  I see no instance where C: for Win 7 installs need ever be more than 65GB or so...but that's just my opinion, based on how I do things.

Installing Windows on very large partitions/drives...skewers the historical estimate of how much free space is required, IMO.

In your case, were this laptop mine, I would create two partitions out of the current C: and move all data files from C: to the new data partition...and see if the problems go away.

My current partition for my Win 7 install on this system is 60GB, with no data files stored on C:, and I currently have 30GB of free space on that partition.

#5 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Okay, so I cleared about 50 gb from the c: hard drive. I'm in the 80 range now. When I was moving about those gbs to my hard drive, it about 12 hours. Yes, my computer was acting that slowly. My computer was and is functional, but it feels like it lags and moves to a crawl. Should I clean out more gb? Do I need create another partition? If so, then how? Do I need to do a scan or defragging or anything that will help my computer get its speed back?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

I can't answer your questions :)...I've already stated the approach that I would take, which would eliminate/confirm that your problems are connected with the amount of free space on C:.

Once said confirmation/refutation was received...it sesms to me that it would be easier to try to troubleshoot what you describe as slowness/lag.

There are many varying causes of such, I chose to explore what I consider the most obvious.  That does not rule out the possibility of a corrupt O/S, a corrupt partition/hard drive, malware or some other cause related to hardware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:50 AM

Well, since it doesn't happen in safe mode, one of your running services might be the culprit.

I don't think a buggy driver would cause lag.

First of all, de-activate avast for 10 minutes and check if it still lags (You know just in case)

And next, well you could do the elimination process of de-activating half of the services in msconfig, rebooting and seeing if it still lags, if it doesn't, the culprit is one of those de-activated services, if it still lags try turning off this half and keep the other half on, if it still lags, i'm not sure what you should do next.

Anyways, i'm no computer expert, just listing a common troubleshooting step, my fellow members should guide you or correct me if necessary

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users