Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Delayed Write Failed on External HDD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 justawildchild

justawildchild

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

I have started getting a Windows Delayed Write Failed error coming up when I try to access my external hard drive.  This ONLY occurs when I try to access files on the external hard drive.

I can access the hard drive briefly.....I can see all my files, but as soon as I try to access the files the error comes up.

What can be causing this and is there a fix.  I have a lot of important files on this drive I need access to.

Can you help?

brand;   iOmega External hard drive

model:   GDHDU

size:       1TB

Edited by justawildchild, 04 February 2014 - 07:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

How are you connected to the drive?

#3 justawildchild

justawildchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

How are you connected to the drive?

USB, like the one you would connect to a printer port

#4 justawildchild

justawildchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

I have tried changing cords as well and still same result. I get the same thing when I try to connect it to my laptop as well

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

Correct me if any of these assumptions are incorrect.

This used to work and you just started having issues.

You have the same issue on multiple machines

You have the issue with a different USB cable.

If all of those assumptions are correct then I'd  say there is an issue with the drive or enclosure interface.  I'd bet more on the enclosure.  I've seen this before.  You may be able to remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it to a USB to hard drive adapter to read the drive.

How old is the drive?

#6 justawildchild

justawildchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

All those assumptions are correct

The drive is only about 2 years old.

What is the USB to hard drive adapter?  Do you have a link so I know what I am looking for?  Would buying a new enclosure do the same thing as the adapter?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

If you change the drive to "Quick Removal" in Device Manager, does it still give the error?

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-optimize-usb-drive-performance-windows-7.htm

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

If JohnC_21's suggestion doesn't work for you.  Rosewill RCW-608 USB2.0 Adapter For IDE/SATA - a very handy tool to have.  Another enclosure would probably work also.

#9 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

I have two new WD HDs and both prompt this response when I either turn the computer on or restart.  They both use the new USB 3 connectors, but I have not installed the software that came with the HDs since I do not want my data encripted (the only way I figure I can get past the encription).  Until reading this post, was actually looking for the cause for delayed write message, I had assumed the delayed write was caused by my not having installed the software, but seems that is not the reason.

Am so surprised that the HD case could cause such an issue, but I am leary of installing the software to determine if it is the problem.  Would not be a happy camper if the software did not cause it, and problem remained; and I wonder if I could just re-format the drive and start over needing then to install the software.

I had called WD before using the HDs, noting that I used Windows XP Home SP2.  I had tried SP3 but really disliked not being able to send photos (might be a problem sending other docs too) by just right clicking on the photo and selecting send to, and an email form would pop up, just requiring me to enter the addressee.  This was significantly changed in SP3..and I have no idea what else they messed up [in my humble but ignorant opinion].

But back to the subject..any new info on Delay Write.  Might not be too big an issue since I did partly jump ship and purchased a Mac Book Pro in December.  It was made for ignorant people such as I, but after having used for a while, I discover I am not that ignorant...and I want to see the structure of what is going on in the computer etc.  If there is not an [just got it again...delayed write failed and I did not do anything with the HD] application on the Mac, I can forget about doing it.  Apple does not let one into the inner workings so I cannot do what I used to do on the MS products.  And this is progress?

Any new info on delayed write...I hope?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users