Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newbie (I need help picking a new cooling system)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 huxley001

huxley001

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

my curent liquide cooling system is noisy now. and I want to improve my computer and make it the most quiet I can.

current system:  asetek 510LC liquid cooling system 120mm radiator & fan.    and it buzzes now, its annoying :S

my case is a : cooler master HAf 912 mid-tower gaming case w/ajustable HHD cage.

my CPU: AMD phenom II x6 1100t six-core w/hypertransport technology.

mother board: (crossfirex) ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 chipset crossfireX suppot DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/7.1 audio, GbLAN,usb3.0. sata-III, raid, 2 gen2 pcle, 2pcle x1, &2 pcI 

I know a little about computers but never replaced a cooling system, so i need a little help.   my socket supports what type of cooling system or heat sink ect...

I have 2 fans 120mm that I'd like to replace aswell to a more silent model.  

I'd like to make my computer very quiet , performance wise I do game sometimes but not extreme, i ply games like border line 2 , men of war, dead space 3, fallout las vegas,,, ect..    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

Hi the best single 120mm all in one liquid cooling system is the Corsair H80i which is super quiet when the fan speed is automatically adjusting it's rpm based on the CPU temperature and it performs quite well.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

The corsair unit is the most common one I've seen.  One approach to helping what you have to work a little better is to lower the case temperature using  3 X 5 cards to move fresh air in and directed to the areas where needed the most.  Closing vents between the power supply and the case will help too, this helps the air flow through both.

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

it buzzes now

If you are heart-set on a new system regardless, well and good. However, if it is only the buzzing that is annoying you might want to check out your circulation fans including the case fans (if you have any). It is very common for one (or both) of the fans to have the bearings begin to wear out creating vibration and buzz. These fans can be replaced for a small fraction of what an entire new cooling unit will run you, and it is a super-easy job. Easy way to check is to open the case while the computer is running and pinpoint which fan is buzzing. I usually just power-down,  unplug the power cable to the fan, power-up and if the noise stops you found the problem. On the other hand, if the noise is coming from the pump, a new system is needed. I have an ECOit Coolit and never had a problem in years.

#5 huxley001

huxley001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

I already unpluged and checked all my case fans. 

i unplugged the fan on the radiator and it wasn't that. unpluged the pump and thats where the sound was coming from. 

I did a cleaning inside my case a week ago. to find the noise and clean.   big problem !! I think my pump is stuck to my cpu....  I'm in uncharted territories here. 

I do want to buy a new cooling unite be it air or liquid..   but if I cant remove the pump from the cpu ?  

#6 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Ok.... then it's your pump failing, so a new cooling unit is in order. The reason your unit is stuck to the CPU is that the thermo grease that is applied between the pump and CPU to increase the transfer of heat had hardened and is now acting like "glue". Power down and work while the computer is still warm. Detach whatever lockdown mechanism (levers, latches, etc. if any). First, press down lightly (do not pull up!) and gently, gently, twist left to right. Do not force. Try to break it free. Do not pull up, you don't want to rip the CPU out of the mount, it could damage it. If you can reach, use a safety razor to gradually work the blade between the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink/pump. Eventually it will give and you are on your way.

If you have never mounted a heatsink to a CPU, there are lots of info on the internet. Just review a few.

Edited by ranchhand1, 05 February 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#7 huxley001

huxley001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm comfortable replacing my cooling system,,, it's just tackling the pump stuck to the cpu , I hope its not gonna be a nightmare. I dont want to break anything, but yes I won't pull , ill twist ....  I read somewhere people have use "prime " something to heat up there system then try to remove it  

#8 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

I have heard of people using a hairdryer to warm a stuck heatsink before removal, but never had to using the procedure I posted above. I would use that before paying for something that probably would not work any better. That's why you want to do this while the unit is still warm (as I mentioned above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users