Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisible Favorites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tider

tider

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I am running IE11 on Windows 7.  64bit   Most of the time when I open IE (90%+) I cannot see the contents of my favorites folders although I can see an outline of the box they should be in.

I can click on the spot where they should appear and the application opens as it should.  So they are definitely there but invisible.

"Show hidden files and folders" is active.

This occurs when I run IE as "Owner".  However, if I run IE as Administrator this never occurs.

Does anybody know what the bleep is going on here???  Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

> I can click on the spot where they should appear <

Hello -

Not 100% with your description of the situation ............

Open I.E. and press the ALT key. You should now have all of the top Menu looking at you.

Is this in some way a part of the problem ??

#3 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

Goto the search programs and files entry box  - type %favorites% - you should see the I.E favorites (US spelling) for the Windows profiles on this workstation.

Also goto the top right of the I.E windows - restore down button (near to close button and click onto the star icon to test/view favorites from there.

#4 tider

tider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

scollins, thanks for jumping in. 

Sorry for the delay in responding. 

To clear up my initial post:

This occurs when I click on "Favorites" in the toolbar and the drop-down list of favorites and folders appears.  If I then hover over a folder, the box with the favorites appears to the right but it is empty.  However, I know that they are there because I can click where the link is supposed to appear in the shadow box and the link is activated and the linked site appears.  And as I said above, if I run IE as the administrator, the links appear perfectly.

And if I click on the star at upper right, everything works as it should.

I have been trying to get an answer on this for months.

Grrrrrr.

Hope you can help!  Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Damaged profile?  I'd try creating a new user and see how that profile works.

Louis

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm with hamluis, this sounds like a profile issue since it works fine on another account on the same machine.  Rebuilding the profile should fix the problem.  Then you can copy the data over to the new profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users