Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on case

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Garrettjax

Garrettjax

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ive recently purchased the asus rampage IV black edition with a Corsair H100i and an evga 780 ti. Im not sure on a case that will allow good airflow to my gpu with the H100i installed. Would like to spend around $200. Was looking into a Corsair 750D but read on another site that with this water cooler airflow to gpu would be limited.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

Hi, if your looking for a case that has a huge amount airflow, then you should check out the Coolermaster HAFX which uses multiple large fans to draw in huge amount of air while fitting in the largest components.

Edited by killerx525, 05 February 2014 - 12:24 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Garrettjax

Garrettjax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

That happens to be 1 of the 3 cases I  was looking at(along with the Corsair 750D and 540). The 750D failed do to restricted air flow from the front intake and dont really like the cube look of the 540. I loved the idea of having a windowed side with a fan for the gpu so the Hafx looked like the case for me, then I read a consumer review on newegg that said it had problems with EATX boards. The guy claimed he shorted 3 boards do to his cpu coolers back plate touching the side of the case. Not sure if he knew what he was doing or not but he still gave the case a great review over all. This is the second site to suggest the Hafx so I guess thats what ill go with. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

That happens to be 1 of the 3 cases I  was looking at(along with the Corsair 750D and 540). The 750D failed do to restricted air flow from the front intake and dont really like the cube look of the 540. I loved the idea of having a windowed side with a fan for the gpu so the Hafx looked like the case for me, then I read a consumer review on newegg that said it had problems with EATX boards. The guy claimed he shorted 3 boards do to his cpu coolers back plate touching the side of the case. Not sure if he knew what he was doing or not but he still gave the case a great review over all. This is the second site to suggest the Hafx so I guess thats what ill go with. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated.

Yer I saw that comment too about the eat but I'd assume that wouldn't matter unless your using a EATX board.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Garrettjax

Garrettjax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:39 AM

Board im using is Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard....

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

Board im using is Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard....

Upon further inspection, the CPU cut out hole in the back is huge, so as long as the backplate is in that cut out area then it should be fine and remember to position on the stand offs properly as they can also cause shorting. 

>Michael 

#7 Garrettjax

Garrettjax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Ok thanks ill give it a try.

#8 fairwind

fairwind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hi folks,

This thread is for you guys who build your own PC's, I wish I could! However I would like to add my experience on the matter of cooling.

My current PC is only 1yr old. My old PC had an xP operating system which I Ioved, but the CPU cooling fan was always sceaming its little head off, even after I changed it to a bigger fan system. This problem was hugely aggrevated in summer.

I lived with this issue as there was little I could do about it and had it for about 9yrs. Last yr I got some sort of bug(s?) which I could not resolve and as xP was not going to be supported any longer beyond April 2013 ( I read the other day that support has now been extended to 2015 ?? ). So I ordered a new PC from a local company who allows buyers to decide online what they want. I chose the biggest, best cooling tower they could recommend. I then chose the biggest, best cooling system on the CPU.

And I have to tell you I cannot hear a peep from the tower !!

And yes, I have a CoolingMaster tower. Best cooling is "cool".

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

i saw an intriguing case a few months ago that had the cpu watercooling and full size gfx card, it was a silverstone fortress ft02. that thing was sweet. it looked kind of plain, but was loaded with features. the mobo  was rotated 90 degrees.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#10 Seniri

Seniri

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

I'm in the process of a new build right now, currently using HAF 932 - the case is nice, but I;m feeling the need for an upgrade. I can be a little OCD about my cooling, and as such I spent two weeks looking at cases, trying to find the one best suited to *literally anything* and I settled on the Thermaltake Core V71. Looks nice, fully customizable insides, rear mounting for two HDD, and holy crap the fan/rad support. If you're looking for something with high air flow and the ability to tailor it to your personal needs without the trouble of completely custom building your own case, check it out.

#11 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I just un-boxed my new corsair 900D yesterday. As pretty much everybody knows, it's big (41 lbs empty, I think). Like most cases, it has pros and cons. From what I've seen so far (and I'll I've done is de-box it, remove the side panels, lower the bottom panels, move around the drive cages, mount my fan controller and BD-ROM (mostly just to see how they were going to look), remove the front panel, and finally, take the new radiator out of the box it was shipped in, mess around with the fans etc, and then spent a good 30 minutes pondering the best place for the rad.

PROS:

- aesthetics (this is the first high-end case I've seen in a while that isn't just another nauseatingly obvious attempt by the designers to create a case that has lots of pretty lights, and an overall cheesy design that sacrifices utility and function in order to look more like what a bunch of marketing guys think 13 - 17 year old males all agree looks "badass")

- frame stability... case that size, last thing you want is a frame that can't support the weight and ends up bending or distorting, potentially destroying motherboards and god knowss else

- Adaptability.... pretty much everything you want in there will almost definitely fit (it helps that the drive cages can slide out and be re-attached elsewhere....) I saw one guy's build on youtube where  he mounted 7 radiators!

- cable routing ( you have to see it to believe it)

CONS

- I love the way the brushed aluminum looks, but i'm already getting annoyed with the ever-growing collection of fingerprints

- The drive cages are a tad flimsy. I guess that's how they kept this behemoth affordable

- on a case this large, it's can be nightmare to move. just think: just over 40 lbs w/ nothing inside but a few fans, some cables, and 4 lightweight drive enclsures. Now fill up wih all that precious crap you've been drooling over... well, you get it.

I'm not starting the build til later this week - -I'll update this thread if anyone's still intersted.

oh yeh: my last, most recent old PCs were, first one geekbox adaptation of a silverstone temjin, and then more recently, slightly less powerful (and a lot dumber looking) was a semi-custom housed in  a HAF box (don't remember the specific model - - looked pretty much like this: http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/haf932/932blacklarge.jpg )

The silverstone is still as rock-solid as when i bought it; the HAF less well... it seems that it's been slowly falling apart since it entered my life (tho it took way too long for me to figure it out), from which I can only conclude that it was built cheaply, designed poorly, and produced in very large factories with very little emphasis on quality control. But that's just my experience.

Edited by defanged, 16 February 2014 - 02:32 PM.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm not starting the build til later this week - -I'll update this thread if anyone's still intersted.

That would be great but i suggest that you start a new build log (thread) rather then going off topic on the OP's thread :)

oh yeh: my last, most recent old PCs were, first one geekbox adaptation of a silverstone temjin, and then more recently, slightly less powerful (and a lot dumber looking) was a semi-custom housed in  a HAF box (don't remember the specific model - - looked pretty much like this: http://www.crazypc.com/images/cases/haf932/932blacklarge.jpg )

The silverstone is still as rock-solid as when i bought it; the HAF less well... it seems that it's been slowly falling apart since it entered my life (tho it took way too long for me to figure it out), from which I can only conclude that it was built cheaply, designed poorly, and produced in very large factories with very little emphasis on quality control. But that's just my experience.

I personally have the HAF932 and for me, it's been rock solid since most of the chassis is made out of metal, except for the front panel which is plastic. The only complaint i have for the case is stock fans tend to start making unusual noises due to the motor going out but then again, you pay for what you get.   

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users