Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chipset Driver issue.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hello, I am guessing this is a BIOS issue.  I recently reinstalled Windows Vista (32-bit) with a brand new hardrive,  At least one of the former drives was dead from many times that the PC kept hanging up, freezing and requiring a cold restart.

Thanks to a very helpful person in the Vista forums I have everything running almost perfectly.  However, my same problems exists.  Whenever I watch TV with the PC it randomly shows no signal on the monitor and the sound shuts down....but the PC is still running and requires the aforementioned restart.

I did some poking around in the device manager and noticed the yellow exclamation point next to the SM Bus .  I noticed it previously and thought not much of it.  I pretty much have learned by going along when there are problems.  I did some searching and found out that I need the chipset driver for a GeForce 9800 GT.

I am having a really hard time tracking it down.  Any ideas?  Will this possibly solve my other problem as well? Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 04 February 2014 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

From one of your previous threads you said the computer was a HP Pavilion Elite m9250f. According to the specs, your southbridge chipset which controls the SMB functions is an Intel ICH9R.

You can try running the Intel Driver Update Utility to see if it solves the SMB exclamation mark issue but I don't know if will solve your monitor shut down issue.

Is your Monitor setting such that is turns off after some minutes? Make sure it is set to never turn off.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-power-management-on-windows-vista/

Edit: what is the make and model of the monitor?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#3 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thank you so much! The chip set drivers updated! As you suspected, it did nothing for my other issue.

I already have the monitor set never to sleep. It's just some random thing where the monitor says it has no signal and a few seconds later the sound cuts out but the P C is running. It only started doing this relatively recently. I'm starting to wonder if it might be the video card giving up the ghost.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

If it does it randomly then I would think it may be a hardware issue. Either the TV tuner card or the Graphics card. Or, possibly the monitor.

Do you have another monitor that can be substituted? I would also try unplugging any video cables and reattaching them. If possible, also try a different video cable.

Check to see if you have the Nvidia card or Integrated graphics. You are using Integrated graphics if the video cable it plugged into motherboard in the back of the computer. You can also check by typing msinfo32 in the search box of Vista and then running it. Under Components, click display and it will show you what graphics card you are using.

If you have the Nvidia Gforce graphics card do the following. Turn off the computer uplug it from the electrical outlet. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds then open the side panel. Being very careful not to touch any of the internal components, plug the computer power cord back in and turn on the computer. Note if the fan on the graphics card is spinning. If not, then the graphics card is most likely overheating. Power off the computer. Unplug it and replace the side panel.

Other than those thoughts, I am out of ideas on this. Sorry. Maybe somebody else on the board can give their thoughts. It may be time to give the computer to a good independent shop to diagnose.

#5 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

I'll take a look at those things. Thank you! I've been refinishing our kitchen cabinets so I haven't been as much on the PC issue as I'd like to be.
I did get a message (an error message). Something about a video device and a live kernel. I probably should have written it down.
Also, now the monitor randomly turns off but the sound and PC are still running while watching streaming from the Internet. It seems to be getting worse. It makes no sense since it worked fine for a few days.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

Looking at the HP product page, the video card should be a Geforce GT8600 and it looks like a Hauppauge HVR1800 TV card. If you are using drivers automatically installed by Windows you could update them to the latest manufacturer supplied drivers, and see if that makes any difference.

Nvidia display drivers here (auto detects required drivers) - http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-gb

Hauppauge Driver package here - http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1800.html

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hello Gentlemen!  

Thank you for your suggestions.  I'm still in the midst of refinishing our kitchen cabinets, so I'm still plagued with the monitor issue. I've tried a few things (not yet everything) you have suggested.

I know that my video card and TV tuner drivers are up to date.  I did update the audio drivers and now I tend not to lose audio when the monitor gives up.  At least not while watching Internet content.  I have yet to physically take out the video card.  I seem to remember the fan spinning when I put in the new hard drive.  I took that chance with the box open to dust out anything I could.

I had read somewhere it might be an issue with the PnP driver and the Video Card driver for the monitor conflicting with each other.  SOOO....being short on time ( and brains), and having painted the entire day I removed the PnP driver.  I believe I was supposed to remove the other one, but I could not see it listed.  Having removed the PnP monitor driver,,,,,absolutely nothing has changed.   Is there a place on the video card where I can see what kind of errors it might be having?  Would that help diagnose the issue?  Should I try to get back the PnP monitor driver and if so, how? I looked and could not find it.  I use our Vizio TV as the monitor and PC speakers for sound.  I doubt a HDMI cord would fix the issue, I'm pretty sure it sits with the video card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users