Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA DRIVE IRQ NOT SET IN TIME?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

So my mother's computer had been booting into a "grated" screen. I am running the DELL diagnostic tool (F10 at start up) and throughout the SATA DRIVE tests I keep getting error message reading interruption request not set in time.

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2014 - 06:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Can you clarify what you mean by grated screen - have you recently changed any of the standard settings for the SATA drive in the Dell Bios?

#3 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

It looks almost like low pixel plaid or mesh

#4 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Ad far as I know my mom hasn't touched anything "technical"

#5 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Has your mother had an electrical blackout recently while the computer was running and then the electricity came on again, or accidentally unplugged it while running, or have you added any hardware, etc? Adjusting IRQ settings ended at least 20 years ago; it used to be necessary with old DOS Windows when adding peripherals such as sound cards, video cards, etc. but not any more.

Edited by ranchhand1, 05 February 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#6 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Okay, I am at my computer now.. Let me give more details. 

During all steps of the SATA Drive Tests (Read Test, Seek Test, Smart Test and Verify Test) I get Error Codes.  All with the same message: Interrupt Request (IRQ) Did not set in time.  I continued the diagnostics past those messages and now it is telling me to "CHANGE INPUT TIMING" 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Can you boot into Windows and navigate even though the graphics is altered?

If this is the case then you should run a diagnostic test for the hdd.

If you can't use Windows normally, try Safe mode with Networking.

If you can do either of these use the following instructions.

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2014 - 02:17 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Sounds like the drive is failing unless the BIOS settings have changed (or the CMOS battery failed) - IRQ's are set on the integrated controller as part of the SATA drive (unless a PCI bus card is installed to convert SATA). Worth going into the DELL setup (press F12 and select BIOS setup and checking default settings are applied and re-running the tests.

#9 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

dc3:  there's no way to navigate into any of that.  

scollins:  I will try that.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  

#10 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Follow DC3's suggestion to test your drive with Seagate Seatools for DOS. That would have been my next suggestion. By the way, you never did answer my questions above.

#11 Jonesy1208

Jonesy1208
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

well I appreciate the help, my mother gave up and is taking to the computer shop. =D But this has been an excellent learning experience!!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users