Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 not booting USB device....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wotan2525

wotan2525

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm building a new PC and here are the specs:

ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 Motherboard
i7 4770k
2x8gb Crucial DDR3
Samsung Pro 120gb SSD
WD 2tb Hard Drive
GTX 295
750watt PSU

Everything went together correctly and boots up OK but I can't for the life of me get a USB stick to come up on the boot menu. I've tried all the USB ports, enabling/disabling the legacy support and IDE/AHCI modes for the SATA controller. I've tried creating a disk with Rufus (GPT vs. MBR) and I've tried creating a regular windows 8 recovery disk from another machine.

I'm at my wits end here! Help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Sorry for asking a stupid question but has the USB stick been formatted to be bootable?  What is on it and how did you prepare it?

Have you disabled Fast Boot?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

I've got two usb sticks -- an 8gb Kingston and a 4gb generic.  I've formatted and written to them using Rufus with a Windows 8.0 ISO.  I've written them in both MBR mode and GTD mode (both are designated as good for UEFI in Rufus.)

Once those options failed to work, I downloaded memtest86+ 5 and used the included flash tool.  Still nothing.  Oddly enough, the sticks don't even blink/flash when inserted into the PC.

I disabled fast boot (and I've tried enabling/disabling the compatibility settings.)

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Confusing.  I don't have that board BTW, I just had a look at the manual.   Looking at the boot menu section of the manual, it appears USB devices should just be shown as items you can select to boot from in the boot priority screen.   When you mentioned changing the legacy support options for SATA, have you also done the same for USB?  I can't see that making a difference, but might be worth a try.  Have to be honest though, it sounds odd as on recent boards I've had no problems booting from USB drives.  Older ones can be hit and miss.

Is it working with any USB devices, e.g. keyboard and mouse?

Edited by jonuk76, 04 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Yes, both keyboard and mouse are working.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Sorry I added more comments after posting initially.  I don't know if this is any help but someone here with a similar issue says that clearing the CMOS fixed it for them.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 wotan2525

wotan2525
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

No problem. I think I'm going to try and exchange the board. I've tried every UEFI setting possible and have cleared the CMOS countless times. There must be a hardware problem. I've built 20+ systems and have never run into this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users