Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meet Microsoft’s New CEO

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Satya Nadella has been named to replace Steve Ballmer who is stepping down as CEO amid poor consumer sales including Windows.

Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft and current Chairman of the Board, is also being replaced by John Thompson, formerly of Symantec. Ballmer will continue to serve as a board member.

Since August, Microsoft has been looking for a new CEO. Nadella has been with Microsoft for 22 years, most recently as the company’s very successful cloud and enterprise chief.

The question is how will Nadella mesh and in which direction will he take the company? Bill Gates is certainly not going anywhere as he will now take an advisory role for product development.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Where is the suggestion box?

My advice to the new CEO? Give the customer what he wants, not what you think he wants. And please fix Windows 8? You left out some important features that your users really liked and miss!

#3 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

You got that right. (Start Screen, Crashing, Ahhhhh!!!). Don't use it myself, but have a friend who does (and he hates it!).

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#4 rman56

rman56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

I'm buying a computer next week, actually, and one of the requirements was that it did not have Win 8.  I've lived with Vista long enough, and I can at least say that for an only home user, Vista became tolerable.  I've heard good and bad, but mostly good about 7, looking forward to it.  I'm not saying we should all still have XP, but IMO, they should have been nothing short of consistently improving on an OS like XP.  I'm sure, at this  points, it's going to be my favorite so far.  Although, 98 was the bomb when it came out?  C'mon now, you know it was.

#5 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

It has been a long time coming. I read this a few days ago in my breaking news alerts. It's time a more innovative mind steps up to the plate because they haven't been able to keep up. I agree with a previous post..."give the customer what they want." WIndows 8 has too many tiles and is not user friendly. I had to walk my kids through using the OS every time they logged onto the computer....they can take Windows 8 back....

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hi, Lessynz and Welcome!

Sorry to tell you this, but they ain't taking eight back...they are going to bless us with Windows 8.1 SP 1, set to make us all groan in April. It was originally set to be out in March, but this baby, as all Microsoft's babies, is running late.

#7 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Lol Well battyhippie, I know the systems can be downgraded so even if they don't take it back, I won't be investing in it lol. It's just not an agreeable OS for my family or me. 

Downgrade Rights

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=k5qX4ONHHK0

#8 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

On the note of the new Microsoft CEO, I thought this was a pretty good article to read:

10 Things You Need To Know About New Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/cloud/240165942/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-new-microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella.htm

#9 Lessynz

Lessynz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

You got that right. (Start Screen, Crashing, Ahhhhh!!!). Don't use it myself, but have a friend who does (and he hates it!).

Your friend can downgrade from the Windows 8 OS. See my post below.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hello Alex. If it is crashing there is something wrong. I'm on the forum with this computer every day for hours at a  time with windows 8. Knock wood, I can not recall it crashing since I did a full reset a week after buying it. And even then is was not a windows problem, I just decided I wanted to start over.

Start screen? I installed the free add-on "Classic Shell" It starts up to the desktop, I click on the Start button installed by classic shell for programs and it looks and works like a improved Windows 7 as I see it. You can see my Desktop with the start menu button clicked to see what I mean.

http://www.bleepstatic.com/fhost/uploads/2/win8-desktop-full-size.jpg

Lol Well battyhippie, I know the systems can be downgraded so even if they don't take it back, I won't be investing in it lol. It's just not an agreeable OS for my family or me. 

Downgrade Rights

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=k5qX4ONHHK0

Be careful, You need Windows 8 Pro to downgrade.

It has been a long time coming. I read this a few days ago in my breaking news alerts. It's time a more innovative mind steps up to the plate because they haven't been able to keep up. I agree with a previous post..."give the customer what they want." Windows 8 has too many tiles and is not user friendly. I had to walk my kids through using the OS every time they logged onto the computer....they can take Windows 8 back....

See my reply to Alex. I don't ever see the tiles unless I want to. I find it just as user friendly as Windows 7.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Quite true, roter123, I have been using Win 8.1 for what 3 weeks, on basically all day, streaming music, not a crash. And I too, do not see the tiles with Classic Shell. Recommended Classic Shell to quite a few unhappy Eight Users. Now? They are happy campers. It works.

My only complaint with 8 is that my cat can somehow hot key, when she is sleeping on the keyboard, so that my screen is either upside down or sideways. Or she can open about 1000 tabs in Firefox. But then, that is life with my Old Girl.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

Meet the next CEO of Microsoft: Bill Gates

Many commentators claim that by resigning as chairman, Gates has given the new CEO, Satya Nadella, more room to breathe. Im not buying that...I suspect Gates is positioning himself for a Jobs-like second coming.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Interesting read, quietman7. And it makes sense, Gates is trying to be the top dog but 8 sure was a big set back. However, Apple bought back $14B of its own stock...they are not doing too good, either. And since Apple no longer has Jobs, they are stagnant, so to say. But is Gates a Jobs?

#14 Ryan Tech

Ryan Tech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Customer's when reach microsoft Most of the service's provided by them are paid services and the main moto of microsoft is to earn money, First they have to provide support and then they can take money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users