Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Extreme Lag Spikes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rich94

Rich94

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

So first and foremost I'm quite a keen gamer and my ISP is Virgin media, I have had no issues with them since my time with them. However the other day as usual I decided to play a game, however I encountered an unplayable amount of ping which was 1700ms. This surprised me and i thought it must just be a one of thing as I've had no issues and always average about 50ms. This however has kept occurring and I've therefore been through various routes trying to fix things, contacting virgin and being ensured it's not an issue their end and must be something mine.

I've tried switching Ethernet cables, connecting a wireless adapter but the issues still persist. I installed a program called dpc latency checker on my computer which reads the latency I am getting and notifies me of any lag spikes etc. Of course it detected them (and as you can see in the attached images they are rather extreme!).

The latency checker advises me that it could be some device drivers interfering with each other however I have tried re installing Ethernet drivers and wireless card drivers, and disabling one whilst the other is enabled but I have had still no improvement.

Sometimes the connections is fine, but when it goes bad, it really is extremely poor and unplayable. For those who do know about gaming it seems that whenever I'm in a game on steam and open the steam in game interface and open a web page that automatically causes the issue, however it sometimes just does it by itself.

It's as if something on the computer is constantly trying to access the internet and causing issues. At the end of the day I don't really know and that's why I'm here to get some expert advice. I've added some screenshots below to try and help but yeah, I guess this is a last resort and really hope someone could be of assistance. Thank you in advance,

Richard

http://postimg.org/image/m2kfoodwt/

http://postimg.org/image/8vuzp5i7h/

Note: If anyone manages to help me resolve this and get it fixed I'd be more than happen to send you a small donation for your time. This is an issue I'd really like to get fixed as it's extremely annoying so it only seems fair.
Cheers.

Edited by Rich94, 04 February 2014 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

That first ping is from your PC to your router, why is the address 0.0.0.0? and that should be 1 ms. Literally it's from your PC's NIC down a wire to the router. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

That first ping is from your PC to your router, why is the address 0.0.0.0? and that should be 1 ms. Literally it's from your PC's NIC down a wire to the router. 

Their DHCP & DNS table is screwed up, or they are running some kind of Internet security software, that is creating a proxy, is why you are seeing that 0.0.0.0 & high ping on the machine.

There is more at issue here, then just Virgin.

#4 Rich94

Rich94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Their DHCP & DNS table is screwed up, or they are running some kind of Internet security software, that is creating a proxy, is why you are seeing that 0.0.0.0 & high ping on the machine.

There is more at issue here, then just Virgin.

So what would you suggest I do to fix it??

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

Give us a better Traceroute and contact Virgin, to work with one of their techs.  As for the computer side, you may need to do a sfc /scannow, ipconfig, /flushdns, netsh winsock reset catalog.  To start seeing if you have some issues causing the 0.0.0.0 & high ping.  What is the model & manufacturer info on the equipment you have with Virgin, and how are you connecting to said equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users