Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC to TV

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dgreear2

dgreear2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Had an HP laptop running XP, with S video output.  Had coaxial cable running from old TV to RF modulator box.  S video cable from box to PC, RCA audio cables running from box to headphone jack in PC.  Have a new Toshiba running windows 8.1.  Old set up doesn't work.  New computer has RGB port, no S video.  Have purchased RGB cable with one end S video other RCA video. Does not work.  TV is 10 years old.  No inputs in back of tv except coaxial. 

How can I switch or extend my PC to my TV?

Thank you,

dgreear2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

What are you looking to do on the TV?

I sincerely doubt that your television can support 1080 resolution (1920x1080).  Everything on the tile screen requires 1366×768, found that out when I put Windows 8 on my media machine connected to a 720 (1280x720) projector.

Possibly something like this?

Edited by RKilroy, 04 February 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

an old CRT television like that will be able to do 1280x720 at absolute best, but more likely you will get 640x480, which is almost useless.

There are ways to convert it but youre going to spend... probably around 100 bucks and countless hours setting it all up, and in my experience youll have to battle with it every single time you want to use it.

#4 dgreear2

dgreear2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:54 AM

I do a lot of streaming and watching movies.  My old tv worked set at 1024x764.  I think the converter you pointed to is what I need.  I guess I'm wondering what is different with my old computer and this new one and why the old set up doesn't work with a RGB cable.

Thanks for your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users