Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New "reset" feature in Chrome to stop Browser HiJackers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

To help keep your browser settings under your control we added a reset browser settings button to Chromes settings page in October.

Despite this, settings hijacking remains our number one user complaint. To make sure the reset option reaches everyone who might need it, Chrome will be prompting Windows users whose settings appear to have been changed if theyd like to restore their browser settings back to factory default. If youve been affected by settings hijacking and would like to restore your settings, just click Reset on the prompt below when it appears.

Chrome Blog

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Interesting but doesn't IE already have this?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Interesting options! :)

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

Please read This topic.

As quietman7 points out, many minor "infections / scams" are due to Plug-Ins and Extensions.

I have found that the Extensions etc, are where a lot of these minor problems are.

These are the two most common solutions to eliminating the pop-up ads.

Find the Browser that is used (or causing the problem) and it works.

1. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions.

Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension.

Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list.

* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

2. If needed - Create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome          

I have posted these resets for a few problems, and then just used avast! toolbar cleanup, with AdwCleaner by Xplode, and Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu for the clean up.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM) is always ideal for other heavy infections, but by cleaning Extensions and Plug-Ins many of the problems are removed

You will be surprised how many bits are removed with these simple steps -

Anything much more is better handled by the Malware Removal Team.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

That option existed for a long time in Chrome. Why is Chrome blog posting about it now?

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

Quote...

Despite this, settings hijacking remains our number one user complaint. To make sure the reset option reaches everyone who might need it, Chrome will be prompting Windows users whose settings appear to have been changed if theyd like to restore their browser settings back to factory default. If youve been affected by settings hijacking and would like to restore your settings, just click Reset on the prompt below when it appears.

.......maybe there is a touch of necessity here.....I do observe, in my somewhat limited experience, that Chrome appears to have the lions share of problems in the AII forum.....(settings hijackings, etc)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users