Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will old MS Office work in W7?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have existed on Office 2003 at home perfectly adequately for years and Office 2007 at work, using XP Home and Professional respectively.  However I will have to upgrade my machines to accommodate the changes in April.  Will either or both programs work when I move to W7?  

The same question will of course apply to all the other XP-compatible programs that I am running at present.  Are there any easy answers or is it all a matter of trial and error?

Tks

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2014 - 11:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yes Office 2003 works on Win7 in my experience.

With other programs it's worth giving them a Google. Some will work in Windows 7 some wont. 

Like you said, It's trial and error.

Thanks

Edited by Darktune, 04 February 2014 - 08:50 AM.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

There ought to be a "thanks" icon on this forum but it looks like Bleeping C have yet to catch up!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

No need for an icon...when the poster is able to simpy type such :).

Louis

#5 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

We use Office 2007 at work with Windows 7 Pro :)  .

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#6 bertiemae

bertiemae

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

You can also use Office 2000 on your Windows 7.  I put both Office 2007 and Office 2000 on my husband's computer when I updated his XP to Windows 7.  He likes Office 2000, so he uses that all the time.  As far as Office 2007, I put that on computer so that he can read word docs that he might get as hardly anyone uses Office 2000 anymore.

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

You can tell your husband that he and I have much in common :) and it's a relief that all is not doom and gloom with the transfer as I'd feared.  However I would be amazed if there were not other pitfalls along the way (I use a 2005 version of Goldmine database for example).  Is anyone aware of a database of people's XP > W7 transfer experiences and/or an idiot-proof roadmap? It's nice to benefit from other people's triumphs and failures!

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Just remember that along with XP all Microsoft Office 2003 support and updates end on April 8 2014. So you have to be concerned about being secure with a product that has seen the end of it's support lifecycle from the vendor.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

I agree that "security" is a separate and no less important consideration alongside whether a particular program will continue to tick under W7.  Rightly or wrongly I have thought of security as being more of an issue with the OS than with particular programs.

Apart from which the cynic in me wonders if in fact the [XP] world will indeed really come to an end in April - and if from then the floodgates will open to mass attacks from hackers / malware who would otherwise have been put off by the prospect of the next Windows as opposed to normal AV update.  One doesn't want to be complacent but sometimes I wonder if there's not a bit of crying wolf going on which doesn't do any harm to the suppliers of more modern OS's?  Topic for another thread?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

I don't have the answer to that. I only stated it for others who may read this topic and want to try the same thing. Unaware that 2003 Microsoft Office Products are at the end of support cycle. And there is indeed an ongoing, quite extensive, topic on that very subject matter regarding XP here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496246/end-of-support-for-windows-xp-sp3-is-april-8-2014/

As of this post 26 pages and 385 replies.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

I can state definitely that Office 2003 will run on Win 7 64 bit as that is what I have on this computer - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. It also runs on at least one computer I know of running Win 8.1.

MS supply the 2007 file converter to use with 2003, this allows you to read .docx, .xlsx etc. files in 2003, saves you having to have 2007 installed as well.

I know support for 2003 ends in a couple of months, but I really dislke the interface on 2007 and later. I have some familiarity with it, but I still don't like it !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Considerations of security apart I share your views on the Office 2007 interface.  I saw once a reference to a conversion "tool" that  you could install in 2007 that did away with the fancy ribbons and re-created the logical menus that people could find their way around in (as before).  If this gizmo worked it would overcome much of my inclination to stick with 2003 - except that I lost it (the link to the tool)!  May be someone is familiar with it???

[+ can you give me the link to the 2007 file convertor?]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users