Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't activate my genuine windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harleyst

harleyst

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

The other week Windows told me I needed to activate my windows. Instead of doing so, i opened CMD and typed slmgr- rearm. But I can nolonger use this as a solution as i have exceeded the number of times my computer is allowed to do it. I am positive my windows is genuine, it has a genuine key and came installed on the computer when i purchased it brand new from a store. 

Now when I type the key in to activate windows all i get is this message:

"A problem occured when Windows tried to activate. Erroe Code 0x0004F063. For a possilbe resolution, click More Information." 

THEY ARE NO SOLUTIONS IN 'More Information'. The only solution it offers is my throwing out atleast $109 for a new windows. (Why would I ever bother to buy a piece of microsoft software if I cant even activate it?)

Does anybody know how I can get my Windows reactivated or should I just download a crack for Windows 8 as Windows do not care and are evidently more interested in catching people out than helping customers?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

You need to contact Microsoft.  This just happens.  I had one computer that had Windows 7 on it, for about a year, and my daughter got the non-activated error.  Basically what it is, is that what is called a "Dirty Bit", gets set on the computer. So when it talks to the Authentication servers for MS, the database software on their servers, thinks that your machine is not running a valid copy of Windows.

The call is very painless, and actually is really quick.  The longest that I have had to be on the phone with one of their tech's regarding this issue, was somewhere around 10 min's, when we were trying everything the tech & I could think of, to try and get the copy to stop stating that it was invalid.

Ended up just doing a complete wipe & install, and the problem went away.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

. . .or should I just download a crack for Windows 8 as Windows do not care and are evidently more interested in catching people out than helping customers?

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to discuss defeating existing copyright or security measures.

Please refrain from broaching the subject again.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you for your understanding.

~Blade
Forum Administrator

Reference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#4 harleyst

harleyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

You need to contact Microsoft.  This just happens.  I had one computer that had Windows 7 on it, for about a year, and my daughter got the non-activated error.  Basically what it is, is that what is called a "Dirty Bit", gets set on the computer. So when it talks to the Authentication servers for MS, the database software on their servers, thinks that your machine is not running a valid copy of Windows.

The call is very painless, and actually is really quick.  The longest that I have had to be on the phone with one of their tech's regarding this issue, was somewhere around 10 min's, when we were trying everything the tech & I could think of, to try and get the copy to stop stating that it was invalid.

Called Microsoft. According to them its not their fault their software is messing up. Apparently it is the store that I bought the computer from. 

Is there another way that I can use the software I payed good money for? How can Microsoft treat its customers like criminals and expect us to keep buying their bleep?

#5 harleyst

harleyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Completely untrue. It was very painful, not to mention unhelpful, phone call. After waiting on hold for ages I was put through to an indian who barely spoke any english and was far more interested in knowing my name than fixing the problem (that she completely avoided and blamed on someone else). 

Nor do I want to have to wipe mp pc and reinstall my os because of a mistake made by microsoft. 

Taking any real solutions, thank you.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

Where did you buy your PC? Was Windows preinstalled? 

#7 harleyst

harleyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I bought it from a computer store. Windows came preinstalled.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

Just an idea!  I was locked out of a laptop and needed to get in, I used the recovery partition.  If you have a recovery partition that "may or may not" work but at this point it is worth a try, you will need to backup anything you want to a USB stick before fooling with it.  You will come back with totally clean system, then go to windows update and follow the prompts.  I did it and it worked fine.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

I bought it from a computer store. Windows came preinstalled.

Then it could be an illegal install. It is not unusual for small computer shops to use their Windows license and install it on customer PCs. They think they're doing you a favour but you don't have a legal Windows license. Then when Microsoft inevitably sniffs it out, you can't activate it. If the PC is a brand name, it comes with recovery options. That's why Microsoft told you to go to the store. You have to find out what was done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users