Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC suddenly got slow, freezes, unresponsive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wacomist

wacomist

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi!

My computer has been running great for a long time, but yesterday after dinner a game I play suddenly started to freeze for a few seconds now and  then. I soon afterwards realized these following problems.

Windows startup is really slow.

Starting applications is really slow and you can't even tell you started an application at first, because nothing loads for a few seconds.

Task manager is really slow to start when anything else is slow.

entering a webpage is really slow. Nothing happens at first, but after a few seconds it suddenly works.

Watching videos online freezes, though sound continues.

Opening Explorer (slow) and clicking ex. (C:) will show you nothing for a few seconds, though sometimes it works as normal and shows you everything instantly. (That's actually the case with most of these slows, sometimes it's as fast as it usually is, but that's only for a few seconds or minutes.)

Basically everything seems to have gotten slow just like that. I havn't downloaded anything new, nor have I been to unfamiliar webpages. I've run Malwarebytes, ESET and done disc cleanup. I've uninstalled alot of unused programs. Eset found 8 infiltrations that was successfully removed, malwarebytes found 2 (both were false-positives but I removed them anyway).. I havn't noticed any improvement yet.

I noticed the same behaviour on my family laptop, though it's alot worse on that because it's slow in general.

It could be that both of the computers just have old- and not so healthy HDDs, the laptop's 4 years, my computers HDD is 5-6 years. But it seems a little too coincidental and sudden. I checked my HDD for broken sectors about 6 months ago and it was fine.

This is about as far as my knowledge can take me so I'm hoping someone here at Bleeping Computer can lend a hand in resolving my issues.

edit:

I've now run HD Tune and my hdd showed no bad sectors at all. But now programs have started to crash, like GeForce Experience, steam, Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes won't really start at startup either, it says "Could not execute desired action. Code 2" or something.

Edited by wacomist, 05 February 2014 - 05:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wacomist

wacomist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

It has gotten way worse now on both computers. Just starting windows is a dice roll. If you're lucky, you'll get to the part where your desktop shows up and all the background programs should start running, though absolutely nothing is happening for 10 minutes, and you can't do anything meanwhile. Then some program starts, others fail. If you're unlucky however it doesn't go past that, it's just stuck- you can't even shut down the computer without holding down the power button for a forced shutdown. I can barely use the explorer. Unpacking a 250 kb rar file takes 3 minutes.

Everything works like a charm in safemode though...

I'm really out of ideas of what to do. Please help me...

This is the fifth time I'm trying to post this. For some reason my computer has decided to not let me use my (any) webbrowser for more than a few seconds, then it wants a break for a few seconds, then it works and so on. I have internet though. Downloading stuff via uTorrent for example gives a steady speed with no interruptions. It's just the browsers.

#3 obarmuscle

obarmuscle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Same exact problem here. Started on the same day as yours. Right now, I shut down my ESET and things are working fine. 

Could ESET be the problem? Even though I've had ESET working just fine for a year up until the other night...and now I'm having all the symptoms you've mentioned. Slow folder opening, turning on the PC just hangs, restarting hangs in black screen, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users