Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS M140 does not recognize charger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sparkiem2

sparkiem2

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

Dell XPS M-140

Windows 7

Does not recognize charger, it will run computer but will not charge battery.

Gives message on start up AC adapter not recognized

What I have done so far.

New battery no change in message

New charger PA-12 and A Used charger that works with another Dell that calls for a PA-12 No change message.

Replaced Circuit board that has charger port on it. (Used from Ebay) No change in message

Went to device manager and uninstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery then restarted to let it reinstall no change in message

Updated Bios no change in message

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Sometimes the battery needs to be pulled in and out a few times to clean up the contacts.

Edited by OldPhil, 04 February 2014 - 10:29 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

I gave that a try did not help but thanks

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I would be skeptical of a bad "used" board from ebay, I have had mixed results. New parts from ebay I usually have some luck with. Since you have already replaced the power adapter and have one that works correctly in a different dell (I assume in the other dell it is recognized and charges normally), I will say for certain it is not the power adapter.

It is most likely still the daughter board with the jack on it that is bad. You can check in bios to see if the power adapter is recognized or if the battery is charging. A driver in windows will not change this.You do not need to boot to windows at all to check if the battery is charging, the bios will do this as well.

When you say new battery, was it a genuine dell battery? If it was not very often non genuine batteries will not charge. Check in your bios and it will say somewhere if the battery is recognized as well as the adapter. Dells are very picky about genuine power adapters as well as genuine batteries.

If the bios does not recognize the charger and the other dell does, I would recommend replacing the daughter board again with new if possible. If a new daughter board still does not work, you may have a motherboard problem.

Edited by zingo156, 04 February 2014 - 12:39 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

It is not a dell battery just a replacement from Ebay. Bios says battery is functioning properly. Charger is unknown in bios.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Most likely it is an issue with the charging circuit on the daughter board or the motherboard, if you can find a new daughter board this would be the next step. If a new one does not work, I would point toward the main board having a problem.

Out of curiosity, what is the other dell model and make that works with the power adapter?

Edited by zingo156, 04 February 2014 - 12:48 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

dell latitude d630 calls for the PA-12 charger also

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Ok, that computer should have the same option in bios to see if the adapter is recognized. For certain if that d630 recognizes the power adapter in bios (check this on both) and the xps m140 does not you have a daughter board problem, or a main board problem with the m140.

#9 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

D630 recognizes charger and charges batterey

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I am 100% certain the xps m140 has a bad daughter board or possible bad main board. The good news is that daughter boards are usually not real expensive. You can use the dell part number usually something like 0D4456 or something and search ebay for a new one. If a new one does not fix the problem, it is likely the main board.

#11 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I agree thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users