Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Windows 7, Suspecting hardware issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cappyjack

Cappyjack

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Not sure where else to post this; sorry if this is the wrong spot.

I'm having an issue with my PC and wondering if anybody better with computers has any suggestions as to what component is failing. My wife was using the thing when the prstarted, and her original description made me think it was a software issue.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 February 2014 - 08:30 AM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cappyjack

Cappyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:11 AM

My bad. I guess using my phone for this was a mistake.

Anyway, long story short, I eventually tried to fix the thing by formatting and reinstalling Windows 7. And I'm getting an error message saying, Windows cannot install required files 8007037.

I tried installing Windows XP for diagnostic purposes and got the blue screen of death. So I'm expecting a hardware issue now. Any thoughts about which part is most Likely the cause or how I proceed?

Thanks.

#3 Cappyjack

Cappyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Part of me is leaning towards psu because it has always been a problem and has had issues with sucking up dust and not turning on.

#4 allstarpcrepair

allstarpcrepair

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

Definitely check memory, if memory is bad windows will not install no matter how hard you try!

#5 green_orange

green_orange

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yup, check memory first. If it's fine, check the HDD.

#6 Cappyjack

Cappyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

Okay. So to check the memory, do I just remove the two sticks one at a time and try to install Windows?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

This could be due to bad media or you need to add drivers during the install. What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard?

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Okay. So to check the memory, do I just remove the two sticks one at a time and try to install Windows?

There are software tools to check whether there are memory problems.  There is Windows Memory Diagnostic on the Win 7 DVD (under the "Repair My Computer" menu).

Or you could download something like Ultimate Boot CD which contains Memtest86+ (a well established RAM testing program) and other utilities which might turn out to be useful later, like HDD diagnostic tools.  Whatever you use, it will take a good few hours to complete a thorough memory check.  If you don't have alternative CD burning software installed, use IMGBurn to write the ISO to a CD.  Don't simply copy the ISO file to a CD as that won't work.

Edited by jonuk76, 05 February 2014 - 11:01 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Is 8007037 the correct error?  I did some poking and found 800703E7, if this is the correct one there is quite bit on it stopping installs.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Cappyjack

Cappyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:52 AM

Hmm . . . I will try making a diagnostic CD if I can get the thing to boot from CD, but it's changed its behavior now. It's started saying, "Loading Operating System" when I first turn I on, and then it shows a basic loading a screen that says, "Windows." And it would just stay like that. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wonder if it has half of XP installed from when I tried to install XP to rule out a problem with the Win 7 CD.

I tried changing BIOS settings to make CD the highest boot priority, and now it's giving a new error message regardless of what bootable cd I use. I'll post the error message later, but it seems this PC is really buggered.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Topic title says you cannot install Win 7...are you trying to do a clean install with a legitimate licenssed copy of Windows 7?  Are you trying to install a dual-boot?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#12 Cappyjack

Cappyjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

I formatted the HD and tried to reinstall Windows 7 so I don't have an OS right now.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Good :).

System manufacturer and model?

You have a valid license for your attempted install?

Source of the media you used to attempt your install?

What error messages did you receive when you tried to install Win 7?

Do you have a license for XP on that system?  Did you use recovery or reinstall CDs when trying to install XP?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users