Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pecoi

Pecoi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Hi, there. I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable mods can help me heal my poor, broken computer. I'll be brief and hopefully this can all be fixed by updating hardware or a fresh reinstall, wipe, or whatever. Basically, my computer freezes like nobody's business and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure it out on my own (and if the answer is painfully obvious, educate me, please).

Here are the issues:

- Freezes at the Log In screen (often, but not always)
- Freezes if I have multiple tabs open
- Freezes if I have a browser and a single application open

- Freezes after 20 minutes of simply being on (often)
- Freezes if I turn it on and leave it on for hours without anything open (often)
- I've received the nvlddmkm.sys blue screen error more than once (or just the blue screen without the nvllddmkm.sys error), and if that is the ultimate issue here, what would you recommend I do? I was told it was a common problem with Windows 7 64-bit and NVidia cards, but that's it. Not very helpful.

Notes: I ran Disk Check before and it had no issues, but the last few weeks Disk Check ran itself without prompt and also found no errors. In addition, I've had relatives (kids) play games on it like The Sims 2 for long periods of time without any issues (but it has frozen once), but upon playing a simple Flash game on a website like Disney's Club Penguin, it will always crash. Alt+Ctlr+Del never works either. Never.

Here are the details about my computer (if more info is needed, tell me what and I'll post it):

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Model: Studio XPS 9100
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @2.80GHz
RAM: 9.00 GB
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (it used to be 450, but a friend installed a different card to see if that would fix the issue, but it acts just the same. If it's a video card issue overall, what would be the best recommendation for a replacement given my machine?)

If there is an existing thread similar to this one, please link me in that direction. Any help is greatly appreciated. When I bought the machine a few years ago, it never gave me this problem. These issues suddenly flared up the past few months and I have no idea why. Thank you for all help and any replies.

Edited by Pecoi, 03 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

remove the NVidia card altogether and fall back on the onboard one... does the problem still persist?

#3 scollins

scollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Try cleaning both the system board fan and the NVIDEA card fan, as it sounds as if it is overheating and freezing over a certain temperature. NVIDEA GPU's do run hot so might be related.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

please run speccy and post the link

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Go into control panel delete the video driver reboot should clear it, then reinstall the driver.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

To be sure that this is a Nvidia driver issue, boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem continues.  If it doesn't doesn't you should uninstall the old Nvidia drivers and then install new drivers.

Before installing new NVIDA drivers you must first uninstall the old drivers.  It is very important that the Graphics Driver be the last driver to be uninstalled.  If this is not done you will find yourself repeating the process.

Before uninstalling the drivers you should download the new drivers from the NVIDA website.  As you can see in the image below there are two means of finding the correct drivers.  Option 1: is the manual method, Option 2: is a automated scan which will find the correct drivers.  

nvidiadownload_zps19003119.png

Don't open the drivers until after all of the drivers have been uninstalled and the computer has been restarted.

In the Start menu click on Control Panel, when it opens click on Programs and Features and wait until it is populized.

The programs are alphabetized, scroll down to the Ns where you will find the list of NVIDIA drivers similar to the one in the image below.

Nvidia_zps01e691da.png

Important: Users of older motherboards with a Nvidia Chipset may find a ChipsetDriver listed, these are unreleated to the Display Drivers. If you uninstall a NVIDIA Chipset drivers, your system could become non functional and require a installation of the operating system.

Remove these drivers one at a time leaving the Graphics Driver the last to be uninstalled

Place the mouse pointer over the driver you want to uninstall, this will highlight the choice.  Right click on the driver, a window will open with the word Uninstall, click on this to uninstall the driver.  After the driver is removed from the list go on to the next one. 

Note:  If while uninstalling the Nvidia Drivers the system asks for a RESTART after uninstalling a driver and it wont let you proceed when choosing "restart later", then its OK go ahead and restart and pick up in the Control Panel under Programs and Features where you left off.

Now that you are left only with Graphics Driver, uninstall it.   

The system will ask for a RESTART, you should now do so.

Windows has as native graphics driver which will make it possible to continue with the installation of the new NVIDIA drivers.  You should install the new drivers now.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Pecoi

Pecoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

TsVk!
Here are the Speccy results:
speccy2.jpg

scollins

Done and it seems to be a bit happier.

OldPhil / dc3
I did what you said (thank you for all the details, dc3) and uninstalled, then reinstalled new drivers. So far it hasn't frozen, but I'm not quite sure the problem is fixed yet.

Thank you for all your helpful replies. I'll give you a status report soon.

Edited by Pecoi, 11 February 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hi Pecoi,

Is your machine at idle when you took this Speccy snapshot? Or were you running some heavier processes? (besides Speccy of course).

#9 Pecoi

Pecoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

TsVk!

I updated the screenshot. Just Speccy is open. Originally, (with the higher temp) I think I might have had IE with this forum open in the background, but that's all.

Edited by Pecoi, 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Your CPU is running a bit too hot, that's pretty common. When you put a load on it or run for extended periods you could easily expect freezing at that temperature level. (it would go over 80)

Are your fans working correctly? Are your air-intakes clogged with dirt?

A good first step is to blow out all of your machine with compressed air, get it nice and clean.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 February 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

You did not post the link which Speccy will produce, below are instructions which should make the process easier to complete successfully.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Pecoi

Pecoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

TsVk!

Cleaned it out and everything appears to be working all right. Fan is spinning and the tower is much cleaner than before. What else can I do to prevent overheating? After following everyone's instructions on this thread, my machine has not crashed as well. I'm going to open a browser and a few apps and see how far I can get since I'm not sure if the problem is solved or not.

dc3

Thanks for the detailed reply. Let me know if this works. Here is the complete report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sak3KLUp1OwGTr6tFdaK6qJ

Edited by Pecoi, 19 February 2014 - 03:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users