Hi, there. I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable mods can help me heal my poor, broken computer. I'll be brief and hopefully this can all be fixed by updating hardware or a fresh reinstall, wipe, or whatever. Basically, my computer freezes like nobody's business and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure it out on my own (and if the answer is painfully obvious, educate me, please).
Here are the issues:
- Freezes at the Log In screen (often, but not always)
- Freezes if I have multiple tabs open
- Freezes if I have a browser and a single application open
- Freezes after 20 minutes of simply being on (often)
- Freezes if I turn it on and leave it on for hours without anything open (often)
- I've received the nvlddmkm.sys blue screen error more than once (or just the blue screen without the nvllddmkm.sys error), and if that is the ultimate issue here, what would you recommend I do? I was told it was a common problem with Windows 7 64-bit and NVidia cards, but that's it. Not very helpful.
Notes: I ran Disk Check before and it had no issues, but the last few weeks Disk Check ran itself without prompt and also found no errors. In addition, I've had relatives (kids) play games on it like The Sims 2 for long periods of time without any issues (but it has frozen once), but upon playing a simple Flash game on a website like Disney's Club Penguin, it will always crash. Alt+Ctlr+Del never works either. Never.
Here are the details about my computer (if more info is needed, tell me what and I'll post it):
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Model: Studio XPS 9100
Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @2.80GHz
RAM: 9.00 GB
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (it used to be 450, but a friend installed a different card to see if that would fix the issue, but it acts just the same. If it's a video card issue overall, what would be the best recommendation for a replacement given my machine?)
If there is an existing thread similar to this one, please link me in that direction. Any help is greatly appreciated. When I bought the machine a few years ago, it never gave me this problem. These issues suddenly flared up the past few months and I have no idea why. Thank you for all help and any replies.
Edited by Pecoi, 03 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.