Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer mouse hacked by virus or trojan?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 OdinGungir

OdinGungir

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hello recently I my computer has started having this strange issue where, the mouse will start acting completely on its own. I will be browsing the internet and my mouse will start randomly clicking things, highlighting objects and exiting out of pages.

I have to two anti virus programs. Malwareantibytes and Superantispyware. I have ran scans with both and they have come back negative. I am not exactly sure what it is because  it does it at random intervals. I am not sure if someone is hacking my computer somehow. What should I do.

Also I have windows 7 64bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Neither Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSypware are anti-virus programs so you need to install one ASAP and perform a full scan.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)

-- As noted above in red many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products. If pre-checked by default that means you need to uncheck that option during installation if you don't want it.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 OdinGungir

OdinGungir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

I ran avast and, one infected file came up. Avast fixed it. I hope thats what was causing the mouse hack. anymore tips I should know about?

#4 OdinGungir

OdinGungir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

Never mind its still acting odd. I ran microsoft secruity essentials and I came back clean, Could it be someone hacking me through a virus?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

What did avast find?

Did you remove avast before installing and running Microsoft Security Essentials?

See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

How to Tell if someone has accessed your computer:Investigate for unusual user account names that have suddenly appeared and for open TCP/UDP Ports.

To view what user accounts are on your system, click StartBtn.gif > Control Panel and double-click on User Accounts to open.

There are several standard (common) user account names and ports that are supposed to be there and if you see these accounts or ports, they are typically not a cause for concern as they are most likely legitimate:

#7 OdinGungir

OdinGungir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Avast said a game exe had a virus so I got rid of it. However I remember I previously had avast and it gave a bsod while playing a video game. So I uninstalled AVast and just went with MSE. So currently I have Malwareantibytes, Superantispyware, and MSE. Is that to many to have? Thank you for the help so far

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSypware, and MSE is a good combo....I just prefer avast if using a free anti-virus.

Crashes (BSOD), unexpected shutdowns, sudden freezing, random restarting, and booting problems could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and sometimes malware. Even legitimate programs like CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) can trigger crashes, various stop error messages and system hangs so you may want to disable them if using any while troubleshooting. However, troubleshooting for these kinds of issues can be arduous and time consuming.

#9 OdinGungir

OdinGungir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Damn I think I might t have to reformat my computer, since I can't figure out what this virus or trojan is

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

We can do some more investigating before resorting to reformatting.

Please download and scan with Emsisoft MalAware 1 minute Cloud Scanner. This is a fast cloud based scanner used to provide an indication of whether your computer is infected with malware. If Emsisoft MalAware detects that your system is infected, you can download and install the full Emsisoft Anti-Malware 30 day trial version, run a thorough scan and remove what was detected.

After that download Sophos Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • It is a large file so it may take some time to download.
  • Be sure to read and follow the instructions on that same page for installing and performing a scan.
  • If anything threats are detected, they will show in the Scan Results with an option to click a Details... button for more information.
  • Click on the Start clean up button to allow removal of all threats found and reboot the computer when done.
  • A log file should have been created...copy and paste the results in your next reply.
Logs are automatically saved to the following locations:
-- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Sophos Virus Removal Tool\Logs\SophosVirusRemovalTool.log
-- Vista, Windows 7, 2008: C:\Program Data\Sophos\Sophos Virus Removal Tool\Logs\SophosVirusRemovalTool.log

#11 OdinGungir

OdinGungir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

I ran a full scan of MSE in Safe mode. It said I had two severe java infections. I quarantined them then deleted them. I then went out of safe mode to normal boot and ran Emsisoft MalAware 1 minute Cloud Scanner. It said I had two exploits but since it was under five it got rid of them. I will run the Emsisoft Anti-Malware 30 day trial version deep scan soon. Question though is it better to run scans in safe mode?

Also Should I buy the Emisoft? and uninstall one of my afromentioned protection programs?

Edited by OdinGungir, 04 February 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Why use safe mode? The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Malware writers create programs that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using safe mode reduces the number of modules requesting files to only essentials which make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files when performing scans with anti-virus and anti-malware tools. In many cases, performing your scans in safe mode speeds up the scanning process. Scanning in safe mode was a recommended course of action years ago before malware writers began to employ more sophisticated techniques to counter removal efforts in that mode.

Why not use safe mode? Some security tools like anti-rootkit scanners (ARKs) and programs with anti-rootkit technology use special drivers which are required for the scanning and removal process. These tools are designed to work in normal mode because the drivers will not load in safe mode which lessens the scan's effectiveness. Other security tools are optimized to run from normal mode where they are most effective. For example, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, Malwarebytes loses some effectiveness for detection and removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of Malwarebytes.

Scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. If the malware is not related to a running process (i.e. malicious .dll) it probably will not make a difference performing a scan in normal or safe mode. A hidden piece of malware such as a rootkit which protects other malicious files and registry keys from deletion may not be detected in either mode without the use of special tools. Additionally, if the scanner you're using does not include definitions for the malware, then they may not detect or remove it regardless of what mode is used. Also keep in mind that there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible.

Generally I recommend performing a scan in normal mode.

#13 allstarpcrepair

allstarpcrepair

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

If you boot into safe mode is the mouse still acting the same?? I know it may sound simple but, try different batteries in the mouse if it is wireless. Also, check to make sure the surface on the bottom of the mouse is clean of dust and debris. I've seen it too many times where a little dust makes an optical mouse go whacko! I would definitely try a different mouse before I reformat the machine.... 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

When the mouse is acting weird that is what I generally recommend to do. If its an optical mouse, "jumpiness" and "jerky" movements can result if using it on a glossy surface or reflective mouse pad. In some cases using multiple or uneven mouse pads can produce the same results.

But in this case, the OP said...

I will be browsing the internet and my mouse will start randomly clicking things, highlighting objects and exiting out of pages.

That description is more than acting weird.

#15 allstarpcrepair

allstarpcrepair

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I do agree with you janitor, however I would like to know whether he is using a laptop with a touch pad or a wireless/usb mouse... we may be looking at a stuck button on the touch pad or mouse and in that case would somewhat replicate the same issue he/she is having.. I would also like to know if the cursor is actually moving to an object as they are looking at the screen, not just randomly jumping around.. I'm not yet totally convinced it is a virus/trojan issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users