Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless, streaming Netflix questions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bluekitty

bluekitty

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

So, I have never really dealt with wireless anything yet, so I am having a hard time figuring out what I need to do. Here is my situation. I have a desktop in one room, that is where my modum is. In my living room, I have a blue ray player that is capable of streaming  Netflix as well as other content. Obvioulsly I need will need wireless equipment to be able to have internet in two rooms. What do I need? Also. I am in an apartment and if I start using wireless how should I go about securing my connections. My modum is through Time Warner and I can get my wireless equipment from them I guess, but I also have no problem buying somethings myself, just has to be on their approved list I think. The blue ray is Sony. Their is a long hallway and a wall between the room and it is a rental. No long cable or reconfiguring outlet or anything else like that possible. If more info is needed let me know. I just cannot seem to wrap my head around how I need to set things up on my own and need some guidance. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

What is the model number of your modem?

#3 bluekitty

bluekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Arris/Motorola MTA  SBV5121

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

You will need a wireless router, and I would recommend contacting your your cable provider for an updated device.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Can your BluRay player connect to a WiFi network directly or does it only have an Ethernet port for a network connection?

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Doubt it is your modem or connection. Netflix has been streaming really bad, for what is going on three years now.

Netflix is pointing the blame to the users and ISP's, when it should be pointed to them. Netflix is the problem. This has been over discussed on a couple of other forums, that Netflix is no longer recognizable.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Netflix for me has been streaming fine for years, and on various devices from my PS3 to my iPhone 4S on 3G it streamed just fine. So I doubt it is Netflix.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Smax brings up a good point, is the blu-ray player capably of wireless connection or is it wired only? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Doubt it is your modem or connection. Netflix has been streaming really bad, for what is going on three years now.

Netflix is pointing the blame to the users and ISP's, when it should be pointed to them. Netflix is the problem. This has been over discussed on a couple of other forums, that Netflix is no longer recognizable.

why are you talking about Netflix being a problem when he is asking how to get his blu-ray player online?   :huh:

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 bluekitty

bluekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

My blu-ray player is not currently accessing the internet, only capable of it. I don't currently have any wireless systems in my house. Maybe the blu-ray model number would help. It is a Sony BDP-S480. I get that I will need a wireless router, but in what room. Connected to the modum and desktop or in the other room to the dvd player. Both my computer and printer are wireless "ready".

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

The device should be located in a room where you think would provide the best signal to all device.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

why are you talking about Netflix being a problem when he is asking how to get his blu-ray player online?   :huh:

It matters, because there has been an ongoing issue of Netflix not streaming properly, through both wired & wireless.  I have found that wired is better then wireless for streaming applications.  But of course the connection on your end, is only going to be as good as what the provider sends, or as the example we have used in the past, to describe the problem with Netflix buffering and poor streaming quality.

Look at how good the streaming quality is, as being on a city street or Interstate.  If there is an accident, a lot of traffic, construction, then you end up with problems.

Netflix has been having streaming problems for some time.  Today it is the jittery effect, like you would see with old school 24mm film projectors, along with still SD for HD movies.  Not a ISP or equipment issue, it is a Netflix CDN (Content Delivery Network) issue.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Greg please post some links to back up your claims. I have no issues streaming Netflix on my 3G and 4 g capable iPhones. They stream as if I am wired. So please back up your claims it's netflix and not an ISP issue. I also had no issues streaming wirelessly over Comcast.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Greg please post some links to back up your claims. I have no issues streaming Netflix on my 3G and 4 g capable iPhones. They stream as if I am wired. So please back up your claims it's netflix and not an ISP issue. I also had no issues streaming wirelessly over Comcast.

Why.  It is all over various forums like I stated.  You do the homework.  I am not here to do it for you.

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S480-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B004K1EOB6  === Connect to your home network with a standard Ethernet cable or add Sony's UWA-BR100 Wi-Fi adapter (sold separately)

So you have to buy something else to hook it up wireless OR run a wire. I'm not sure if you can use any wireless adapter or that one specifically. More than likely it will be that one only because it will have drivers setup for it already. Buying a wireless router will be easy, hell Wal-Mart has them, getting that adapter will be a different story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users