Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about microsoft security essentials

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 irekkin

irekkin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

i've been using nothing but microsoft security essentials since building my computer in 2010. i have'nt had any virus issues at all, that i know of.  i was talking to the IT guy at work about a hard drive problem i've been having (bad sectors/ corrupt files) and in the conversation he told me microsoft security was'nt really a anti-virus program and that i should run AVG or something . that being said i have had problems with down loading anything . when i try to down load a program or even updates i get a window that states that the program contained a virus and was deleted. it does direct you to another site which is microsoft and the latest explorer version download, which will not down load either. i had chalked this up to the drive being bad. does this make sense. any and all advice will be most appreciated.

(my computer is a home build, 2010. asus mother board, amd cpu, windows 7)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is an anti-malware. I have found it to be as effective as AVG over time without having to use a toolbar, additional firewall, and all of the other paraphernalia bundled in AVG. The security within Windows 7 is good. What experience has shown me in many instances, is that folks do not avail themselves to the built in protections within the system.

I do not work here, but there are a number of BC tutorials that help deal with viruses and with other issues.

I assume that you periodically use the Error-checking, Disk Cleanup and Scannow SFC may provide some relief for your hard disk issues.  

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Computer specs: home build, 2010. asus mother board, amd cpu, windows 7

It appears to me you can still use the computer even though you can't download anything so save your data

At this point I suspect you need to evaluate 2 issues

1. The virus that get's deleted

--- Do you know the name of the virus?

--- You might have MSE's settings to automatically remove the virus. In that case you will not know the name of the virus.

--- Set it up to quarantine it so you can identify what you are up against

2. Your hard drive

--- Please describe how you are determining bad sectors and corrupt files

--- Properly diagnosing the hard drive needs to be determined

--- What is the make/model of the hard drive?

===

Following is a summary of how I perceive the issues on your computer

Your anti-malware program: Microsoft Security Essentials

--- Includes Windows firewall and Windows Defender

You've been told you should run AVG or something

--- I'd like to add a comment in here: I have run MSE on my computer as the real time program and Malwarebytes Free as my on demand program with very good results

You have a hard drive problem: (bad sectors/ corrupt files)

You say "i have'nt had any virus issues at all, that i know of"

--- You have had problems with down loading anything including updates

--- Youi get a window that states that the program contained a virus and was deleted.

--- You are directed you to another site which is microsoft and the latest explorer version download, which will not down load either

So this indicates to me that there is a virus issue. Maybe it hasn't infected the computer just yet, but that needs to be addressed 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It was originally developed as a scaled-down version of and replacement for Windows OneCare (discontinued on September 29th 2009) and was aimed at users who either could not or did not want to pay for anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software

Microsoft Security Essentials Download Center

Microsoft Security Essentials software provides real-time antivirus and other protection for home PCs while helping to guard against spyware and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Features and benefits

You can always supplement your anti-virus by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

Also try downloading from a different browser like Firefox and see if you encounter the same problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users