Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping Command - How to test Network Adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

I've been reading about the Ping command and there seems to be conflicting information about the "loopback" test, using the Ping address 127.0.0.1  , whether that tests the Network Adapter hardware or just the TCP/IP configuration.

Does the Ping loopback (127.0.0.1) test the PC's Network Adapter functionality, whether it's on the MoBo or a Network Card?

Everything's working ok on my PC.  I was just curious about the differences when or if I might need to use the Ping command for a quick troubleshooting method before looking at the Ethernet Cable LED's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

See if this helps.

A computer on the network is identified by what is known as an IP address, which consists of four numbers separated by dots, such as 127.0.0.1. However, there is one address that cannot be used by any computer in the world, and that address is 127.0.0.1. The reason is that this address has been reserved as what is known as the loopback address. A loopback address is an address that tells the computer not to test its connections to another computer, but to test its own basic network setup.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

I've been reading about the Ping command and there seems to be conflicting information about the "loopback" test, using the Ping address 127.0.0.1  , whether that tests the Network Adapter hardware or just the TCP/IP configuration.

Does the Ping loopback (127.0.0.1) test the PC's Network Adapter functionality, whether it's on the MoBo or a Network Card?

Everything's working ok on my PC.  I was just curious about the differences when or if I might need to use the Ping command for a quick troubleshooting method before looking at the Ethernet Cable LED's.

Basically pinging the loopback just lets you know that the TCP/IP has loaded at run time.

#4 Scoop8

Scoop8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

See if this helps.

A computer on the network is identified by what is known as an IP address, which consists of four numbers separated by dots, such as 127.0.0.1. However, there is one address that cannot be used by any computer in the world, and that address is 127.0.0.1. The reason is that this address has been reserved as what is known as the loopback address. A loopback address is an address that tells the computer not to test its connections to another computer, but to test its own basic network setup.

Thanks for the info.  I read that when I was looking into the topic.  I recall there was some discussion about the question of the hardware (testing the actual Adapter or network Card)

Basically pinging the loopback just lets you know that the TCP/IP has loaded at run time.

Thanks.  I guess there's no way to actually test the hardware with the Ping loopback.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Thanks.  I guess there's no way to actually test the hardware with the Ping loopback.

Correct.  Pinging 127.0.0.1 checks the IP stack.  However, you can ping near to far to see where your issue is.

1. Ping 127.0.0.1 (tests the IP stack, is the TCP/IP stack configured and working)
  2. Ping your actual IP address, can be found via IPCONFIG
  3. Ping LAN side of the router, normally your Default Gateway as shown in IPCONFIG
  4. Ping the WAN side of the router, What is My IP
  5. Ping the site you are having issues with.

You can also use TRACERT to see where your issue may be.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users