Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 bit on Dell XPS, The service can not be started,......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NobbyHall

NobbyHall

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Evening All,

I spent 11 hours today trying to resolve the issue below. If anyone is able to help, believe me, I will be most greatfull!!.

After noticing my system speed dropping over several days I ran AVG and IOBit Malware and got rid of several cookies etc. I also cleaned up my drives removing old temporary files etc.

Due to a concern over security I also renamed my router and reset its and windows passwords. This morning I was unable to access either safe mode or normal mode via normal login username and passwords. The same for the Adminsitrator account. I can only get into normal mode via a biometric fingerprint scanner.

Once in windows I am unable to access and service, application or task that requires some adminastrive privelidges. I can not run reg edt, services, msconfig. I can run CMD but not as Administrator. I can access the web but can not install any programs I download.

I've tried using a couple of password hacks and think I must have viewed a few hundred posts whilst trying to resolve this issue. Unfortunately they all assume the ability to get to the UAC, be able to change a password or get administrator access. I can not.

All scans for rootkits, malware etc come up blank. My cd drive won't work and I dont have a installation or repair cd thanks to a recent move.

So, after 11 hours, any help welcome!. No pressure!.

Regards.

Nobby.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NobbyHall

NobbyHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I forgot to mention the full error message I get is "The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

Task manager now only shows user processes and I cant access the services to modify any.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

<< I also cleaned up my drives removing old temporary files etc.>>

Does that mean that you ran one or more "registry cleaners/optimizeers"?

Any other Iobit programs installed beside Malware Fighter?

PC Mag Review, Iobit Malware Fighter

Louis

#4 NobbyHall

NobbyHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Good Evening, or morning as it now is!.

I have IoBit Toolbox and Malware tools installed. I generally run Toolbox and CCleaner to get rid of all my unwanted files. I had done this recently as well as run IoBit Defrag3.

Having spent a few more hours on this, I now find the Administrator and guest users have been disabled. I'm currently running ooh rack to try and retrieve my normal account password.

Regards.
Rick
That should have been running ophcrack, sorry, getting tired.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well...my suggestion, if you are able to boot...is to remove all Iobit software from your system, as a first step.

I hope that you are not using the registry cleaner function of Ccleaner.  If you are, then you face the prospect that registry are now gone or damaged...that facilitate the proper functioning of Windows.

IMO, the following are worth reading:

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#6 NobbyHall

NobbyHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:29 AM

Louis,

Many thanks for the reply and information.

I did run the CCleaner registry option as there were a large number of invalid entries. Having read the links you kindly provided, I see I should not have.

I'll be taking your advice re IOBit.

Regards.
Nobby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users