Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ~Polky

~Polky

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Windows 7 64-bit, Acer Aspire 5552-3691

So what happened this morning was, I pressed the power button, the fan would sigh and the disk would click like normal; and then it would shut off before it even had time to turn on the screen.
I replaced the current battery with an old one, and it started fully and I am now backing up any new files since my last back up.

I'm not sure what of the following is relevant, but here are some seemingly related symptoms.
  • Yesterday, I noticed that the time on the computer would change erratically, anywhere from a few minutes to hours backwards. I could set it back to normal time by updating the internet sync, but that would only last an hour at most.
  • I recently (a few weeks ago) replaced the battery with a battery that was admittedly over powered.
    The old one was 10.8 V 4400mAh. The new one is 11.1V 5200mAh.
    The reason I replaced the battery was because it suddenly reduced it's capacity to the point the computer advised replacing it.
  • Before I replaced the battery, the computer developed an issue where if it got too low on power, it would not begin charging until it was turned off.

I would like to learn what could be wrong with it and whether or not I can fix it myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

Always replace batteries with genuine manufacturer batteries, using a battery that has higher voltage can damage components. 11.1v from 10.8v isn't extreme so you might be ok... Your old battery was likely the reason the computer was having problems, including not powering on. Bad batteries often cause no post issues or power issues. You can run the computer from the power adapter without a battery, which you should do until you get a replacement. If your time was jumping around it could be due to a dead cmos battery, this is a tiny button battery located usually under the motherboard, they can be difficult to replace. Or this time issue may be caused by the over voltage from the current battery (unlikely). As I mentioned before: use only exact match ACER batteries for replacement, sometimes they have extended versions but the voltage will match exactly.

I recommend: Shutting down the computer, pulling your current battery, unplugging the power adapter from the wall, plug the power adapter back in, leave the battery out and power on the laptop, then test if you have time issues.

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 ~Polky

~Polky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thank you for responding, 

I was able to get the computer started yesterday with the old (original, came with computer) battery in place while plugged in and was also able to start it with just the adapter.

This morning, after several failed attempts with and without the battery, it turned on after a rather bizarre set of steps.

1. I unplugged computer, and left the battery in.
  2. I pressed the power button several times with no signs of life.
  3. Plugged computer in, while sliding the release for, but did not fully remove, the battery because
  4. the computer powered on without me touching the power button.

I continue to have time issues.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

It has been mentioned to unplug it and remove the battery then hold the power button down for abot 30 seconds, my work not sure in your case.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 ~Polky

~Polky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Holding the power button did not work.
However, today I took the computer apart and dusted/cleaned it. I was able to power it back on in both it's disassembled state and put back together.

I'll post back if the problem comes back up again, but for now I'll get a new CMOS battery and chalk this up to lack of maintenance.  :blush:

Thank you OldPhil and zingo156. I appreciate the help.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Could have been heat related. Glad to hear it is working.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 ~Polky

~Polky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Okay, apparently I lied. After the first two successful starts, the third didn't start until some odd rain-dance with the adapter and battery, and now for the fourth start, it will not start at all. It gives no signs of life, not a light, a whir or a sigh.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Try: taking out the battery, then unplug the adapter from the computer, unplug the adapter from the wall, leave the battery out of the computer, plug the adapter back in the wall and back in the computer. Power on with the battery left out. If you have no lights, no power, test your power adapter with a multimeter if you have one available. The output on the adapter should be close to the voltage stated on the writing on the power brick itself, usually 19-20volts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users