Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KVM Extender Issue: Cable only has single USB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 m1ckrz

m1ckrz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

So I am setting up a remote KVM extender over Cat5. The extender works fine, but I need the hotkeys for the KVM switch to function. However, the KVM extender cable has a single USB connector, while the KVM switch has a USB port for both keyboard and mouse. Currently, the mouse functions, but the keyboard hotkeys don't allow switching between devices.

To simplify:

1. KVM has 2xUSB (Keyboard/Mouse)
  2. KVM Extender has 1xUSB (both)
  3. Likewise, keyboard data is not routed to remote machine (so user can't switch between local machines)

Is there a solution here? Do I need to hook up a hub and run male to male to the KVM?

Heres the products I'm using:

KVM Switch:

KVM Extender:

Thanks in advance for the overflow of expert advice I am sure to receive =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

There's a bunch of handshaking going on at POST and the keyboard is number three on the BIOS list, after CPU and memory.  The BIOS may provide a clue, such as being able to disable it so the BIOS won't look for it and load the drivers through the OS.

#3 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

I have to configure the KVM extender in compatibility mode; this allows you to pipe the hotkey shortcuts from the keyboard, through the extender, to the KVM. When I set it up, the mouse registered just fine, even when I plugged the USB from the extender into the USB port for the keyboard on the KVM switch. If both signals are being sent through the single USB port, shouldn't the KVM switch register both? Or do the separate USB ports only register a single instruction: keyboard or mouse?

Sorry for the confusion. When I read these posts back it sounds really confusing, but its hard to differentiate between different but similar ports on different but similar devices.I attached a quick image I created to (hopefully) communicate the issue more clearly:

PB2ihjd.png

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

That's what's happening, the BIOS is only seeing the mouse or the keyboard but can't see both.  I can see a possible solution but it would involve another extender  for just the keyboard. OR  how about a wireless keyboard attachment directly to the USB port for it on the main unit.

#5 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:27 AM

The local unit is about 150ft. from the remote unit. I need to find a KVM that uses a single USB input for mouse and keyboard, but after a day of searching I have found notta. I guess I could get a USB over Cat5 adapter but its going to be SO messy.

#6 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

UPDATE: I needed a KVM with KM+, a feature which allows piping of both keyboard and mouse signals over a single USB port. Got one from ATEN. Works beautifully.

#7 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

As a follow up, I ended up going through KVM hell in regards to compatibility, but I got it working. I mapped a 4-port ATEN KVM to the 4 DVRs. I connected the KVM to a KVM extender which transmitted the K/M control over ethernet.

The biggest issue was finding a KVM which supported keyboard and mouse over a single port. I discovered this is called KM+. Because the extender cable transmits all USB commands over a single port, you need a KVM which does the same.

My boss griped about the difficulty of hotkeys. Keep in mind that because you are piping hotkeys from the KVM through the KVM extender, you need to operate in compatibility mod, meaning adding an extra keystroke. Still, works for our purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users