Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Monitor wont power on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hey guys, I have a generic monitor that provided 2+ years of heavy duty near 24/7 powered use.

This monitor has recently malfunctioned as I powered it on, it immediatley powered down and never turned back on.

Usually we would donate these to a computer recycling program but I'm curious since I have nothing to lose, and only experience to gain, what generally causes this issue, and how hard is it to open one up and fix a blown capacitor or whatever, if necessary, to get it to power back on again.

If anyone knows of any videos showing the basic theory behind LCD monitor repair or anything like that i would also appreciate any information such as that.

Thanks,

DRW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

There is no grand "theory of LCD monitor repair" every single brand, model, and sometimes there are even differences under the same model number.

If you have no experience I would not recommend opening up anything that plugs into the mains.

That being said, it is fairly easy to open up and quickly tell if it is the capacitors, just look for a little cylinder shaped thing that either has a bulged top, or has leaked is juices.

If none can be found then you could spend months looking at all the parts and still not find the issue without the proper equipment and documents.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

I agree with most of the GreenGiant's advice, but if you are happpy going inside powered-up mains powered equipment then you need to lay your hands on the circuit diagram, or at least a block diagram.

As ever, particularly in view of the way it failed, the power supply is your first suspect !

But in general, monitors are not really considered repairable in view of the cost of man-hours versus replacement. By all means, down-power it and take the back cover off to see if an internal fuse has gone bang - there may be one - but otherwise consider binning it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Quite often monitors have common problems per brand and model. I have had some luck google-ing the make and model + (current problem). A lot of the time some people have had the same issue and point out common bad capacitors or weak points. I too suspect in your case a power supply is the problem.

Does this monitor have a standard cord going into the back from the outlet or does it have an ac adapter (like a laptop has) instead? If it has an ac adapter you can test the voltage output with a multimeter and see if it matches what the output is labeled as on the adapter.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users